• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What would it take?

Speedsterbeast

I have been thinking about ways to learn vehicle wraps to expand my business.
(I've been doing regular sign design, manufacturing, installs, vehicle graphics etc.)

I know there are schools out there, but I was wondering if anyone has ever, or would ever consider having a "student" in their shop to learn some skills while giving back in labour.
I do realize that a lot of valuable time would be taken up by a business to teach someone from the ground up (assuming basic skills of sign making), so the payback from the student would have to be at least equal to the time either in the skills learned or in other aspects of the business.

Obviously I also understand the conflict of business in doing something like this, but would it be unethical to offer this to someone outside of your "territory"?

These "schools" are about two days in length. Is this enough time to learn the basics (I'm aware that it takes practice to reduce time and wasted material)

Any thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.
-Or any offers.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
God, I had to learn by wrapping a gatorade bottle without wrinkles and just one piece of vinyl ... boss at the time thought I was a crack head prepping for my first wrap ... After that I kept that bottle that said "Who's awesome? This guy" with my photo doing the two thumbs up at myself ... god I miss that bottle. Gotta love the emergency jobs that pay for the rush on your 4th week in the business.

Wiggum PI

lol, the last 3M silver applicators course I did, had to wrap the inside of what was essentially a dog food bowl, so your gatorade bottle might be at the next course...

jfiscus

Rap Master
I would suggest putting feelers out there for a local independent wrap installer. We have a guy here who is an outside contractor (just comes in for installs when we are too busy to handle them), I would think someone like that would be able to come do your wrap on your personal/shop vehicle and while watching him & helping you would be learning a lot. We hired out of house at the last company for wrap installs until I became proficient enough to go at them alone. This would be kind of like an apprenticeship, but at your own shop.

threeputt

About three years ago we sent our number one man to "wrap academy" put on by a local materials vendor.

Two days long, it cost about $700.00 if I recall correctly. Learned some of the basic skills, got some materials, etc. He did some hands-on stuff with about ten other people all wrapping one vehicle.

But we struggled with subsequent wraps. Even with his training.

Then one day, we got (4) identical complete wraps to do in a short time.

All 2010 Ford pickups. To be wrapped bumper to bumper including hood and roof.

I then decided to hire another shop about 60 miles away to help. Of course my guy helped them. That's when some real training took place.

Their two guys were ultra fast. My guy helped and learned about new tools not taught in the wrap school. More importantly he learned new techniques.

Totally worth the expense. Got some hands-on training and.... got the vehicles out.

Speedsterbeast

using a local person to teach me would be a tough sell, since my intention would be to compete with them, and I'm not the kind of person to do it without full disclosure.
The schools are about 1G, plus travel, lodging etc.
And as stated, a group setting may not be the best place to learn.
For $2,000 I may be better off travelling to someplace like Winnipeg (where I have relatives for room and board)and work for a full week for someone. I would suspect that would give me enough time to learn the basics and give back enough time in labour to make it worth while for the shop owner.
Does this sound realistic to any of you wrap companies or does it sound like a waste of time and energy? -assuming you had an intelligent mature student with a good work ethic (yes we do exist)

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Or you could fly someone in to teach you how to do it hands on ... would be a great way to wrap your company vehicle too.

threeputt

Speedster, why not adopt my idea or Tyrants? (same basic idea).

Hire someone to do the job on site and watch. (or help)

Have an actual project vehicle ready. Total win/win situation.