• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What's the deal on cap tops?

phototec

Ok, what's the deal on cap tops?

I replaced my cap tops last October and then a little over a week ago went out of town for a week and when I returned, and did a test print, my print heads were clogged pretty good, only about 5% of the nozzles were firing.

After a few head soakings and many cleanings I got almost all the nozzles back. I then installed new cap tops, and after going out of town this last week again, I returned to find the printhead in great shape and not only are all nozzles firing, but the test print looks better than when I last checked before going out of town.

So, the question is how often do you change your cap tops, do you wait for problems or change them on a regular schedule?

All inputs will help me and other future readers.

Thanks

FatCat

I have Mutohs - but I believe captops need replaced when they start causing or showing problems. Unfortunately, because most tops are a rubber-like material there can be issues even with brand new ones not sealing correctly because of some minor flaw or defect.

As long as you are sure you have good seals, and no air is leaking in between the top and head you should be able to leave your machine turned off for days, maybe even a week before seeing issues. Even then, a quick clean usually clears any problems right up. However, if you have a problematic seal around head and captop you may see issues just leaving the machine sit overnight or even several hours as air leaks in and causes nozzle clogs or an imbalance of ink pressure.

phototec

I have Mutohs - but I believe captops need replaced when they start causing or showing problems. Unfortunately, because most tops are a rubber-like material there can be issues even with brand new ones not sealing correctly because of some minor flaw or defect.

As long as you are sure you have good seals, and no air is leaking in between the top and head you should be able to leave your machine turned off for days, maybe even a week before seeing issues. Even then, a quick clean usually clears any problems right up. However, if you have a problematic seal around head and captop you may see issues just leaving the machine sit overnight or even several hours as air leaks in and causes nozzle clogs or an imbalance of ink pressure.

What do you mean: Imbalance of ink pressure?

Effect?

premiercolour

Merchant Member

:thumb:

Original Cap Top for Roland Here
http://www.premiercolour.com/roland-genuine-cap-top-dx4-printhead/

Aftermarket Cap Top for Mutoh Valuejets Here
http://www.premiercolour.com/cap-top-for-mutoh-valuejet-mimaki-cjv30-jv33-and-jv5/

FatCat

What do you mean: Imbalance of ink pressure?

Effect?

As I have been told, (again on Mutoh systems with DX5 heads) there is a small measure of pressure (vacuum) that is necessary to keep the head functioning correctly when it is sitting idle on the cap top. For example, you will start experiencing head drop out or nozzle clogs if you have clogged drain lines, because the clog prevents pressure (vacuum) between the head and cap top. Basically, the clog isn't allowing a slight draw on the head - which is something that is necessary for it to function properly. Same thing occurs when the head isn't sitting tightly sealed on the cap top, without that seal there is no seal/vacuum/pressure in which case you would likely first see this as nozzle plugs and dropout.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
A very significant amount of issues we deal with at Solventinkjet.com is people wait until consumable parts show symptoms of failing before replacing them. While this saves money in the short term, it reduces the life of your head in the long term. If I were running my own print shop, cap tops would be on hand a replaced at least once a year as well as dampers. It costs less than $200-$400 a year to replace these parts on most machines. It saves you money on print heads and, more importantly, it saves you the frustration of trying to recover heads while your customers wait longer or go somewhere else to get their prints.