• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Whats the difference between .ai and .eps

AnteVante

Hello!
This is my first post on this forum.
I was wondering what the difference is between .ai and .eps files, which one of these is best to work with?

/Ante

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
That's not as simple an answer as you might expect because it "just depends".

AI is the native format of Adobe Illustrator. It contains the contents of the page or workspace along with things like page size information. An AI file is written in the Postscript Page Description language. EPS stands for Encapsulated Postscript. It is also written in the postscript language and typically does not include page information but does add both a low resolution preview and what is termed a placeable header which is needed for applications like Adobe InDesign, Quark Express and Pagemaker.

If you save as EPS from Adobe Illustrator, the above is what happens. The page contents remain unchanged be they vectors or bitmaps. In actual use there is very little difference between using an AI and an Illustrator EPS file.

Where it gets complicated is that many applications can open or save an EPS file but it may not be as universally readable or unaltered as what will be saved from Adobe Illustrator. Programs such as CorelDRAW, FlexiSign, SignLab, Gerber Omega, etc. will all open or save both EPS and AI files. But each will do so in its own flavor. Several will fail at opening their own saved EPS files. Then to further complicate the issue, one can also save an EPS file from Photoshop even though the contents are normally all bitmapped images and no vectors. Great for color management (one of the things Postscript is used for) but useless for vinyl cutting.

So it just depends ...

AnteVante

Thanks Fred for the information.
I mainly will use the vector format for cutting on my GX-24 so I guess that It doesnt really matter if i save in EPS or AI then.
At this point I do my editing in illustrator then open the final image to be cut in Roland CutStudio (Planning to get SignCut X2 really soon).

S

SignTech

Yep .......... thanks Fred .... great info for my aging synapses ........

OldPaint

adding to t-what fred said,
saving in .AI will probably be a larger file, since it also does the page you was working on.
.eps will tend to be a smaller file since it only saves object. iam i right?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
adding to t-what fred said,
saving in .AI will probably be a larger file, since it also does the page you was working on.
.eps will tend to be a smaller file since it only saves object. iam i right?

No, the low resolution preview in the EPS normally results in EPS being the larger file size.

jenhuedepohl

I can only ad one little factoid. Postscript language is a form of computer language primarily for printing. The main difference between a .ps or postscript file and an .eps or encapsulated postscript file is the addition of a preview file so you can see it when you place it in a page layout program.

I used .ps files instead of .eps files for press production years ago when memory was expensive and file transfer time was slow. The file size was smaller and theyl ran through our imagesetters with no problems. Now we've gone to a primarily pdf based workflow, but still use .ps files to create our pdf's.