• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Whats the least expensive option for a potential customer.

I really don't understand the snark this post has caused.

I've got a deposit from him for graphic design. Regardless of whatever he winds up doing with the paint on the truck he still needs a logo and a menu board.

He's got a few thousand tied up in a kitchen appliances, plumbing and electrical so he seems pretty committed to the project. He wanted to keep his budget for the truck graphics under $5000 if possible but he's willing to spend more if needed. That's well within what i would charge for a wrap for this truck.

The only question i really asked was what's the most cost effective route for him to prep the truck for a wrap. If he needs to get painted he seems willing to get it painted. I'm not a body shop guy, I've got no clue about automotive paint and most of the work I do is for fleets so I really tend not to mess with vehicles this old.

If I don't feel comfortable about the wrap sticking, we pass. This is the first time someone really seems to be willing and motivated to actually get the vehicle prepared and the problems fixed. Again he's got several thousand tied up in the thing already, so I don't think him getting a paint job is out of the question. He asked what's the minimum he can do to get it ready. I didn't know, just never dealt with the situation like this. I can't fault the guy for being frugal and not wanting to waste money.

As far as why I asked, I kind of thought that was the point of this website. You know to share info, ask questions, etc...

For those who gave good suggestions, I really appreciate it.

If you felt like you wasted your time reading the post, not sure what to say, no one forced you to read it.

One other thing, I used the term potential because if he doesn't get the paint issues resolved I'm not wrapping it.

He was ready to give me a deposit the other day but I passed until he sorted out the paint.

Vinylman

StopSignGraphics:

I hope your comment "I really don't understand the snark this post has caused." was not directed at my response to this thread. Going by your ORIGINAL POST [which left out many of the details you have now added in your last two posts] I was asking a legitimate question which based on your ORIGINAL POST left out the details of you having collected a deposit, as well as your detail regarding "One other thing, I used the term potential because if he doesn't get the paint issues resolved I'm not wrapping it."

I must have missed THAT little detail in the original post. My apologies for wanting DETAILS in order to provide a reasoned and hopefully helpful response derived from my 30+ years of running a very successful and profitable sign business [ without the aid of a forum to post my questions on BTW]. BUT that's just me.

Sorry I may have ruffled your feathers.:Coffee:

Z SIGNS

I would advise your customer that the least expensive thing to do would be to spend $10.000 and have it done right.

Ask him how much is a poor hack job image going to cost him and then ask him to weigh the difference.

Unless you want earn a living doing this kind of work for this kind of customer I would drop this dude like a hot potato.

Thanks, my feathers are no longer ruffled.

Honestly most people go running to the next shop when I refuse to wrap a vehicle in poor quality. It's not worth my reputation or the headache to send out bad work. And it's happened on more than one occasion that I've had people come back in 6 months later when their wrap is falling off saying they wished they had listened and not went to the other guy.

Thanks,
Chris

StopSignGraphics:

I hope your comment "I really don't understand the snark this post has caused." was not directed at my response to this thread. Going by your ORIGINAL POST [which left out many of the details you have now added in your last two posts] I was asking a legitimate question which based on your ORIGINAL POST left out the details of you having collected a deposit, as well as your detail regarding "One other thing, I used the term potential because if he doesn't get the paint issues resolved I'm not wrapping it."

I must have missed THAT little detail in the original post. My apologies for wanting DETAILS in order to provide a reasoned and hopefully helpful response derived from my 30+ years of running a very successful and profitable sign business [ without the aid of a forum to post my questions on BTW]. BUT that's just me.

Sorry I may have ruffled your feathers.:Coffee:

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Simply tell him you will not produce, install, and warranty ANYTHING unless the vehicle has a proper surface to do it on. If he refuses that, refuse the job. Simple.
I've turned down a partial wrap before, because the paint was chipped, peeling, and dented. That was why he wanted it wrapped. I told him that was not the solution for his problem.

TimToad

I didn't mean to be snarky in the slightest, I just wanted to emphasize the need for you to protect yourself from any blowback if he takes shortcuts and you wrap it and it fails because of his shortcuts.

Sounds like you have that end covered, so my only remaining thoughts are to have you impress upon him the need to acknowledge that when food is involved, perceptions of quality, hygiene, cleanliness, etc. are in the front of diner's minds. They see a hacked up truck with a half *** paint job and graphics peeling off it, they move to the next food truck that appears "cleaner".

phototec

To the OP:

Lets get back to the basics, the vehicle finish has issues, old vinyl lettering, latex paint, peeling paint etc., you are NOT in the body shop business or auto painting business, right?

So, just tell him to take the vehicle to his favorite body shop, have them sand, strip, or whatever is needed to remove all the problems and apply a good inexpensive paint job, knowing that your will be applying a full wrap, so it doesn't have to be the greatest.

While he is having the work done at the auto body (paint shop), you can use your time and talents concentrating on the wrap design and once approved, start printing and laminating the panels.

As soon as the newly painted vehicle has dried to the paint manufactures specifications (30 days etc.), you have him bring in the vehical for installation!

It's a no-brainer, you stay in your world and a stay out of the body shop painting business.

They can discuss the cheapest method for him, that is their profession and business, kapish? :thumb: