• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What's this all about...................................................................................................?

JBurton

Signtologist
I was out at a customer's location, looking at the aging on some orange wrap vinyl. We are having issues with another customer's orange fading much faster than other colors, but that's here nor there. We wrapped a couple of trucks nearly 10 years ago, they've nominally faded considering it's been 10 years, and they look better than essentially every wrap out there. Only issue was our turnaround time was too long, and I was the only one wrapping, and the stress of it all made me take extra time to make sure every nook, cranny, tuck, lap, everything was just perfect. So they went on with another local print shop, I didn't miss it. Recently a different customer wanted to know how well this same orange would hold up in a vinyl as opposed to paint, so we trekked to their yard to look at these vehicles.
On my way out, I saw this truck. It's losing material everywhere, for some reason I didn't get any more pictures, but I did shoot this video of the ink just coming off. My best guess is this is unlaminated UV, the cracked surface is just wrap material that's been exposed to the sun. Is that right? Why would the rounded fender region not have the same cracking pattern?
Also, google drive sucks for sharing videos I guess? It seems like the only way to view it in full resolution is to download it...

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
is what you're lifting off of there ink lifting off white vinyl, or orange vinyl lifting off paint? is the cracked part vinyl, or paint? Hard to tell what I'm looking at, but that looks REALLY bad.
If it's ink lifting off, it reminds me of the time I did some test prints on our UV flatbed on clear liner I had sitting around. (I was just experimenting with a white project - it was when we first got the printer.) The ink just pulled right off that liner - looked just like what you are pulling off that vehicle.

JBurton

Signtologist
is what you're lifting off of there ink lifting off white vinyl, or orange vinyl lifting off paint? is the cracked part vinyl, or paint? Hard to tell what I'm looking at, but that looks REALLY bad.
Yeah, I'd forgotten all about this, wish I had actually stopped to snap a photo, I wasn't even going to give it a second thought, until I tugged a piece and saw orange under the layer, only way that happens that I know of is UV ink or non air egress vinyl. It felt as thick as laminate, but zero stretch. With the ease it took to lift, I'm pretty sure it is straight ink.
I just didn't think there would be any ways to get a UV print down over that curve without outright failing, but I reckon fresh ink has a touch more stretch than this did?
I believe the answer is in the title........... it is very rare for an ellipsis to occur without a linguistic antecedent.
It's the only way I know to guarantee your eyes will see my post! It also helps to empty all the extra decimal places out of my keyboard every so often, otherwise corel starts acting out.