• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What's this and why'd it fall off my printer carriage?

JBurton

Signtologist
I mean, I figure it's the color sensor after a light googling about, but how could this happen? I know I've had numerous carriage strikes on a fairly light material lately that could be the culprit, but the one damaged spot has me confused. I lined the tabs up and put it back onto the carriage, ran a print, all seems in order. Our color matching process is akin handing out a sample and getting feedback, not truly pms matching, so am I really needing to replace this? How biga b*tch is it to reseat that ribbon cable? And should I wait until the service kit 3 tech gets here to have him install it while it's tore down?
The really odd part to me is that it printed 4 hours that evening, got unloaded, then halfway through the reload process it kicked an error and the operator looked inside and saw this hanging off the carriage.
IMG_7213.JPG
IMG_7212.JPG
IMG_7214.JPG

cornholio

That's the spectrometer.
It falls off, because of material crashes.
When missing, it throws a error during startup, as far as I remember. As long as you don't do color calibrations, it just sits there.
I remove the left cover to replace them. Reseating the flatcable is a bit tricky, because the connector is recessed in the housing.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
It's happens way more often than you'd think. Only attached with two small screws on thin plastic ears.
Two stacks of super glue VHB on the back and it's never coming off again.

netsol

That's the spectrometer.
It falls off, because of material crashes.
When missing, it throws a error during startup, as far as I remember. As long as you don't do color calibrations, it just sits there.
I remove the left cover to replace them. Reseating the flatcable is a bit tricky, because the connector is recessed in the housing.
you would think the manufacturer would protect it better...