• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Where to start in this business ?

lettramax

Hi guys,

First of all sorry for my english.
I've been in the sing making industry for two years now and I still consider myself as new to the business because I still got a lot to learn.
I still consider my businness as a small one but demand is growing months after months and I dont always have the knowledge and experience to do the jobs and at the same time I don't want to let some pass by.
Wondering how you guys got into the business, how you learned everything, your experiences in the firt years in business, etc.

Just as an example I have to do a quote to wrap 3 cars but at the same time I don't feel I'm ready to do one of these even if I tooked a 3 day lesson with 3M last year.

I am also considering finding an associate/partener that is in the business for years but I don't think someone with experience would want to create a business with me as I don't see any advantage for him.

Thanks for your help

letterman7

Where to start? Like everyone else - get hired in an existing shop and learn the trade. Jumping in cold is a sure fire way to fail - luckily you seem to realize this by recognizing you don't feel comfortable with wrapping a vehicle yet. Practice on your own stuff first, get hired by a competent shop and move on when you feel you can.

Mosh

++ Work at another shop, get paid to learn. Let them pay for your mistakes, you will make many starting out!

Billct2

If I understand you correctly you've been in business for two years and the business is growing.
You are now getting requests for projects that you don't have enough experience to be comfortable doing. like vehicle wraps.
I don't know what the business environment is like where you are but if you were in the US I would suggest subbing out any jobs beyond you capability, until you have learned how to do them. With a vehivle graphic you could get a price from a wholesaler for the prints, sell the project and do the preliminary design then hand off the final design and print to the wholesaler. Then you can hire an installer. As you do each of these things you will start learning what's involved, (see if the installer will let you assist). Then you can decide how much you want to handle yourself.
Or you can decide vehicle wraps are not something you want to do and focus on what you do best.
This is where a business plan can help, decide what kind of sign shop you want to be, it can change but it will help if you've already decided these things ahead of time. You can always adjust.
There's nothing wrong with not doing a particular type of work.

lettramax

Where to start? Like everyone else - get hired in an existing shop and learn the trade. Jumping in cold is a sure fire way to fail - luckily you seem to realize this by recognizing you don't feel comfortable with wrapping a vehicle yet. Practice on your own stuff first, get hired by a competent shop and move on when you feel you can.

I already tought about working for a competitor but I'm not sure anyone would hire me as I am a competitor ! I should have been working in this business before running my own business but to my eyes it's too late and I have to find another way to move on in this business

lettramax

If I understand you correctly you've been in business for two years and the business is growing.
You are now getting requests for projects that you don't have enough experience to be comfortable doing. like vehicle wraps.
I don't know what the business environment is like where you are but if you were in the US I would suggest subbing out any jobs beyond you capability, until you have learned how to do them. With a vehivle graphic you could get a price from a wholesaler for the prints, sell the project and do the preliminary design then hand off the final design and print to the wholesaler. Then you can hire an installer. As you do each of these things you will start learning what's involved, (see if the installer will let you assist). Then you can decide how much you want to handle yourself.
Or you can decide vehicle wraps are not something you want to do and focus on what you do best.
This is where a business plan can help, decide what kind of sign shop you want to be, it can change but it will help if you've already decided these things ahead of time. You can always adjust.
There's nothing wrong with not doing a particular type of work.

That's part of what I was tinking of doing ... It make's me remember that I once meet an installer in a trade show ... I'll try to find back who he was an contact him to see if he still do that kind of stuff.

I also know that I have to do a business plan but to me it's a pain in the *** so I never did it but I know I really have to take some time and do that **** !

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I wish you good luck.

You seem to ask the perfect questions and already know your shortcomings, but refuse to try to do anything about it, other then just plod onward and hope something will work out.

If your business is growing and you don't know how to grow it or how to expand, then perhaps you should just keep doing what you are doing and say no thank you to people and point them in the direction of shops who can help them.

Your constant complaining about doing things backwards or too late is proof that you are not at all equipment physically or mentally to go any further at all, but your statement about being lazy in putting together a business plan is just ridiculous and should be titled your main chapter in your book of failure.

Do you realize you are getting in your own way of moving forward ?? :doh:

TammieH

Now, before I start, without sounding to harsh...one of the problems with the modern sign industry is that anyone can buy into a franchise or just purchase the equipment and start their own sign company with little design skills and definitely no experience with Sign Layout. A lot will have to low ball jobs to get their foot in the door, which hurts us all in the business.
Now since you have already jumped into the pool, I would say you need to hire someone with some skills and maybe the both of you grow together. You may be able to find a partner who might want to get out on their own but does not have the finances to start a business alone, but that could lead to problems in the future.

Other than that, learn as you go, make mistakes and learn from them, and hopefully they are not mistakes that will ruin you or get someone hurt.

lettramax

I wish you good luck.

You seem to ask the perfect questions and already know your shortcomings, but refuse to try to do anything about it, other then just plod onward and hope something will work out.

If your business is growing and you don't know how to grow it or how to expand, then perhaps you should just keep doing what you are doing and say no thank you to people and point them in the direction of shops who can help them.

Your constant complaining about doing things backwards or too late is proof that you are not at all equipment physically or mentally to go any further at all, but your statement about being lazy in putting together a business plan is just ridiculous and should be titled your main chapter in your book of failure.
Do you realize you are getting in your own way of moving forward ?? :doh:

It's hard for me to let a job pass by due to my lack of experience. I always tell myself that I will find the way to do that job if I get it. That being said I will work on putting my business plan together ... It's the first thing my mentor told me last month when I meet him for the first time.

lettramax

Now, before I start, without sounding to harsh...one of the problems with the modern sign industry is that anyone can buy into a franchise or just purchase the equipment and start their own sign company with little design skills and definitely no experience with Sign Layout. A lot will have to low ball jobs to get their foot in the door, which hurts us all in the business.
Now since you have already jumped into the pool, I would say you need to hire someone with some skills and maybe the both of you grow together. You may be able to find a partner who might want to get out on their own but does not have the finances to start a business alone, but that could lead to problems in the future.

Other than that, learn as you go, make mistakes and learn from them, and hopefully they are not mistakes that will ruin you or get someone hurt.

I agree with you ... there's to may business doing anything without knowing anything and I don't want to be one of those. I've already placed an add to hire someone with experience but I don't have enough job for a full time job. I am also trying to find a partner but no answers ... as you know it doesn't cost a lot do get in the industry ! Thanks for your hints !

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's hard for me to let a job pass by due to my lack of experience. I always tell myself that I will find the way to do that job if I get it. That being said I will work on putting my business plan together ... It's the first thing my mentor told me last month when I meet him for the first time.

There is nothing wrong with not knowing how to do something and telling a customer you'll have it done in two weeks..... BUT, you have to be able to deliver, or you'll go under before you know it.

Many times, I didn't have the ability or tools to do something, but I would always tell the customer.... Two weeks :thumb:. I did my diligent homework and learned how to make or get something done..... and learned from my working long hard hours. However, I learned not only how to do something, but the many 'Not-To's' in order to further myself. Before the internet, you had to either know or have some way of finding out.

You seems to know, but are purposely taking some wrong steps and you're getting in your own way.

Slow down and learn as you go. If everything is handed to you.... you still won't know how or why. Put your plan together and money-wise and knowledge-wise, you might see you don't have to be everything to everyone right off the bat. I know, it's hard to say NO, but sometimes it's the smart thing to do, until you get it right. Later, then you can say.... yes we can get that for you and it's actually a specialty of ours.

Again...... good luck !!