• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Which cutters are more reliable? Robust?

ARConcepts

Chopper, that helps.

I won't be doing print cut anytime some. Don't like maintainence with printers, my home one is bad enough.

I want a 30" because I know if I save money and get a 24", then I'll need to cut something 29" later on.

What dealers carry summa that you would reccomend? No cheap cutters for me.

graphixtogo

I started with a Roland cm-24 and signmate for os9. That sufficed for several years. But recently, I made the move to large format print/cut. The cutter I chose was the Graphtec FC7000 MK2 160. I am very pleased with it. The cut quality is great and the speed is incredible, especially compared to my old Roland! The optical registration is awesome (although there is still a slight issue with reflective and super glossy laminates). I have been doing a bunch of contour cut decals since adding this. Never had done them before, so this is a big boost to our sales. It is capable of doing perforation cuts all the way through the backing material, leaving you with a pop-out decal. I'm looking forward to trying that soon. The cross-cut blade is also nice in that it gives a good straight edge for running through a tape application device such as the Sheeter.

The first day I had the cutter, I had an order for a 3' x 50' banner. The graphtec breezed through it in no time, and tracked incredibly well. Then did 1000 countour-cut team decals and again, it worked great.

I recommend going as wide as you can afford to go. There's nothing like doing a 4' wide banner or sign panel in 1 piece! And on those car haulers, it will make the install go much faster. The FC7000 MK2 130 is 54" wide and would be great to have if/when you add a large format printer to your mix. (You might say you don't want a printer now, but those race car guys are really getting into the wraps and large print/cut decals. Not to mention the custom car scene. Never say never!)

The Graphtec comes with Cutting Master software. It is a plug-in allowing you to cut directly from Illustrator. I have used Flexi in the past, but for cutting only, the CM software does just fine, and it won't cost you any extra!

(No, I do not work for Graphtec. Just a happy camper with some new equipment!)

Good luck and post some pics of the haulers and race cars when you get them done!

gtg