• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Which printer HP Designjet 5000 or Epson Stylus Pro 9880

robsonr

Hi everybody,

I'm looking to get some cheap wide format printer for my shop. I don't have any right now and I'm looking into getting one. I found locally HP Designjet 5000 60" for $2250, Epson Stylus Pro 9880 44" for $1500 and HP design jet 5500PS 42" for $2250.
Is any of these any good as a starter printer, or I should be looking into something else? Would you recommend to get 60" or 42" is sufficient?

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Robson

jfiscus

Rap Master
I would make sure that the printer is an outdoor ink printer. Having a printer that does posters for inside but nothing that will stand up to the elements isn't much of an addition to your tools.

robsonr

I would make sure that the printer is an outdoor ink printer. Having a printer that does posters for inside but nothing that will stand up to the elements isn't much of an addition to your tools.

By outdoor, do you mean printer which can use UV inks?
Would be sufficient to laminate it instead of using UV inks?

jfiscus

Rap Master
UV, latex or solvent inks.
Read the manufacturer's specs on the printer & what the inks are rated for outdoors. Applying an outdoor laminate over inks & media that aren't rated for outdoors does nothing to help the inadequate materials behind it.