• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Who has the oldest shop?

CanuckSigns

I always new the building our shop is in was old, but I never realized how old and historic it was untill I did a bit of research. Turns out the building was built in 1830 and used as a woodworking and machine shop.

Through my research I found out that the wooden box that housed the first telephone was built down the hall.

heres an interesting article in case anyone is interested https://raisethehammer.org/article/2167/location_location_location:_valley_city_in_dundas_is_back

anyone have any old shops that are rich with history?

Z SIGNS

Cool article

I love old buildings.

My last shop was an old late 1800's foundry.

Our new place we got in 2011 was a print shop 1895 until 1960
It was an abandoned ,condemned building that we bought and rehabbed into a functioning sign shop.

Some pic's of the old shop and the new
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Front of my previous location 1 block away
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 202 old days.jpg
    202 old days.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 100_0057.jpg
    100_0057.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 100_1306.jpg
    100_1306.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 2pearlst.jpg
    2pearlst.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Jul31_03.jpg
    Jul31_03.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 62

CanuckSigns

Yeah it's a really cool old building, there is a very old wood burning steam boiler upstairs that was used to heat the building for the last 140 years, they used to heat the place for free with the scraps from the woodworking shop. The boiler is the size of a small house, 100% cast iron.

the building sits on the edge of a creek and you can see where they diverted the creek to flow through the building in order to turn various water wheels to power the machines.