• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Who Likes Growing... Veggies?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You might want to put some Brandywine tomatoes in... they're really good.

As for your berries and such.... you'll need netting all around because the birds will pick them right before you can pick them for human consumption. So do the deer and other critters, but the birds are devastating.

Our whole garden is behind a fence with deer fencing and chicken wire which keeps just about everything out. I've put sharp spikes around because the groundhogs and raccoons actually climb the fence and party at night.

In the last few years, we started growing onions. Oh my gosh are they great. The first year we planted about 35 to test the soil. Went though them before summer was over. Last year we planted about 100. Lasted a while. This year we planted over 200.

Nothing beats a freshly picked tomato, sliced in thirds along with lettuce just picked, some spinach and a 1" slice of onion on rye toast.

Old Paint is the guy to ask questions on this stuff. He raises everything.

GoodPeopleFlags

I'm trying a straw bale garden this year for the first time. I have tomatoes, 2 kinds of lettuce, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, lima beans, red onions, and squash. I was really, really, sick for a couple of weeks, got over that last week, went to the doc 2 days ago with a stabbing pain in my side and found out I have pneumonia. So, my garden has been neglected over the last 3 weeks. I hope to get back on it this weekend.

My tips would be to check out the Farmer's Almanac website for great info in the zone you live it.

Also, find a local garden place to buy from. They're nicer, more knowledgable than Home Depot or Lowe's and you're supporting a local business.