• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

why does stroke info change when graphic enlarged?

gabagoo

Not sure what category to put this in, but because it generally always happens while printing I felt this might be the appropriate place

It does not happen often, but when it does I curse these designers.

Why is it that in some cases when I receive a file and make it larger or smaller the stroke on certain parts of the graphic stays constant.
I have no idea why they would be designed this way and as i said I dont find it happening all that often.

I guess the question is why sometimes and not all the time. What function should designers turn on or off when designing using strokes.

My peeve is that it usually ends up in wasted prints, and Lord only knows how many have left incorrectly over the years and nobody noticed...whew

njsigns

I don't know what software you are using, but in CorelDraw there is an option to "scale with image" on the stroke settings.

Gene

JWesthead

Illustrator sounds like you should go to Edit - Preferences - General - Check box "scale stroke and effects"

gabagoo

These are files that are more than likely designed in Illy, but I open them in Flexi and then scale to size.
Like I said, in most cases I catch it but what I don't understand is why when scaling would not the stroke scale itself along with the graphic....I see no reason why it does not or any reason why you wouldn't want it to.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
what I don't understand is, why, when scaling, would not the stroke scale itself along with the graphic?

It doesn't sometimes because the creator did not set it to scale with image (as per discussion above).

I see no reason why... you wouldn't want it to.

Neither do I. I always set stroke/outline to scale with image/resize. It makes sense to do so. Those that do not probably are amateurs or idiots. And it really is nothing more than that.

Jesse_gvi

In Flexi, Fill/Stroke Editor. There's a check box for "Transform" on the Stroke tab. Make sure it's checked. Or check it off and back on again to be safe in case some are and some aren't.

thewood

I loathe strokes.

When you import the Illustrator file into Flexi, you can Arrange>Convert Stroke to Outlines.

Or even better, open the file in Illustrator and Object>Path>Outline Stroke.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Things like contour cut lines, guides and trim marks need to stay constant when scaling.
Other than those I don't know - maybe traps shouldn't scale to much.

wayne k
guam usa

gabagoo

I loathe strokes.

When you import the Illustrator file into Flexi, you can Arrange>Convert Stroke to Outlines.

I realize you can do it, I just don't always go looking for them and being basically a 2 man show, i seldom have the time to scratch my azz let alone look for non conforming stroke data lol.

I printed this small $30.00 favour 3 efin times. grrrrrr

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I've never understood this either. I would love to know why someone wouldn't want to scale strokes with the rest of the graphic...???? Unless for some strange reason a certain weight was specified throughout different sized graphics...but even that doesn't make sense!

I like having the option of turning it on/off with ease. I scale graphics many times and don't want the stroke to change. If you watched over my shoulder or saw some of the work I received you would understand why

There are times when a design has a certain stroke on multiple objects. I trace it once and if the graphic is repeated on the design, I don't retrace. I copy/paste and scale up. I don't want the stroke to change when I scale up or down so I turn this off

thewood

I realize you can do it, I just don't always go looking for them and being basically a 2 man show, i seldom have the time to scratch my azz let alone look for non conforming stroke data lol.

Just select all and convert strokes to outlines.