• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why Thermal?

printmaster

What are the true advantages / disadvantages of using thermal
instead of ink-jet ?

Is the cost of printing really that much higher ?
Is it still higher when using one spot colour vs inkjet cmyk?

And how does the Summa compare to the Matan thermal printers ?

We are trying to decide whether to go with inkjet or thermal at the moment,
our target market is window graphics, vehicle wraps and posters in general.

thanks in advance

Capital Signs

Any type of vehicle graphics, most likely inkjet. So much more options. I think thermal you have a limit as to how wide yeah? Inkjet, depending on your budget, you can get PRETTY BIG!

ToyotaDiesel

As in thermal being more accurate?

My only experience with thermal printers is printing photo ID badges. Color consistency was ok. Cost of the ribbons was insane. Hugely wasteful also.

schurms

Buying a 6 color ink jet kinda puts the spot color thing to bed. The white issue still is one that needs to be addressed thou. I would say inkjet is 5 to 10 times cheaper than thermal. My two cents anyway.

Jackpine

I agree with that. I had a PC600....good quality and made good money with it but small format. For what I used it for it worked very well with Duracoat ribbon the cost was reduced 1/3 per sq inch but still high. They all have their place in the trade.
Buying a 6 color ink jet kinda puts the spot color thing to bed. The white issue still is one that needs to be addressed thou. I would say inkjet is 5 to 10 times cheaper than thermal. My two cents anyway.

smdgrfx

I started with a Gerber Edge and will say that I still love the machine after 10 years. I have printed hundreds of thousands of decals, thousands of vehicle graphics, and even wrapped a few trailers and vehicles. No lamination necessary. I have stuff out there that is 8 years old and still looking good. I also have a JV3160S and they both have their places. I have used the Summa DC3 for a while and I found that to be a bigger waste of material than the EDGE. I use Zero Nine refills and Gerber cartridges only. Color consistency is never an issue. If I'm doing small signs or small vehicle graphics/lettering, the EDGE gets the job done. It does cost more to print, but you have to price it right and it's not an issue. I still get about $15-$20 per square foot when doing small decals and as much as $60-$75 per square foot on vehicle graphics. You can't beat the color consistency of spot colors. And not to mention the gold/chrome/fade effects that the inkjet will never touch. I also do a lot of backlit signs with the EDGE for another sign company. I occasionally run a clear foil over the color foils for added protection on decals with chrome/gold. And I clear coat magnetics with Frog Juice for added durability. Cheaper than lamination.

Here is a sign I did 6-7 years ago. Both face the same direction, south so they get the sun from sun rise to set. The Channel Logo is Gerber Edge non lam, while the Fermentor print is solvent ink.

Attachments

• gerbeeredge.jpg
    gerbeeredge.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 116
  • solvent.jpg
    solvent.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 109