• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Will I live to see 90?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Will I live to see 90? Here's something to think about.

I recently changed to a new doctor. After two visits and exhaustive lab tests, he said I was doing 'fairly well' for my age. (I am in my early eighties). Being a little concerned about that comment, I couldn't resist asking him, "Do you think I'll live to be 90?"

He asked, "Do you smoke tobacco, or drink beer, wine or hard liquor? "Oh no," I replied. "I'm not doing drugs, either."

The doctor then asked, "Do you eat T-bone steaks and barbecued ribs? I replied, "Not much. My former doctor said that all red meat is very unhealthy."

The doctor then asked, "Do you spend a lot of time in the sun, like playing golf, boating, sailing, hiking, or bicycling?" I replied, "No, I don't."

He asked, 'Do you gamble, drive fast cars, or have a lots of sex?" "No," I responded.

He looked at me and said, "Then, why do you even give a crap?"

SignosaurusRex

I recently changed to a new doctor. After two visits and exhaustive lab tests, he said I was doing 'fairly well' for my age. (I am in my early eighties). Being a little concerned about that comment, I couldn't resist asking him, "Do you think I'll live to be 90?"

He asked, "Do you smoke tobacco, or drink beer, wine or hard liquor? "Oh no," I replied. "I'm not doing drugs, either."

The doctor then asked, "Do you eat T-bone steaks and barbecued ribs? I replied, "Not much. My former doctor said that all red meat is very unhealthy."

The doctor then asked, "Do you spend a lot of time in the sun, like playing golf, boating, sailing, hiking, or bicycling?" I replied, "No, I don't."

He asked, 'Do you gamble, drive fast cars, or have a lots of sex?" "No," I responded.

:ROFLMAO:
Well Fred, Ya know what they say about 'Old Age'................................................................................................................
There ain't no future in it! :covereyes:

HulkSmash

Nothing Truer has been said.

OldPaint

this is actually true........
dec 26 2010, i was taken to hospital with chest pain. was prepped and taken into the heart cath room. iam laying there, drugged enough so i dont feel the camera in my veins but awake enough to know where i am and what is happening. i get this doctor(after i got to know him, i really like him)he says you see that on the monitor? i said what am i looking at? he said thats a "widowmaker." and pointed at a dark spot on my vein. i said whats a widowmaker? he says you will find that out after SURGERY. i said........SURGERY??? yep, i said do i have a choice? doc said........well.....you can lay here and die! so what do you want to do??????? i said SURGERY)))))) woke up 6 hours later with a double by pass)))))

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
this is actually true........he said thats a "widowmaker." and pointed at a dark spot on my vein.

Sad to say, most middle-aged men have no clue of the left anterior descending artery otherwise known as the "LAD", and the dangerous condition called the "widowmaker".

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anterior_interventricular_branch_of_left_coronary_artery)

I became acutely aware of it when my father dodged a bullet nearly twenty years ago with his.

All men, listen up:

I've spent countless hours in numerous cardiac unit waiting rooms. I've consumed more than my fair share of outdated periodicals until I began observing the people that waddled past my field of view...arriving hourly for their diagnostic tests and procedures.

The number-one demographic that far out paced any other was the sedentary-lifestyle, middle-aged male...moderately to morbidly obese.

With a starting price tag of $12,000 and upwards for a heart cath, this self-inflicted market appears to be a promising business model for hospitals.

Sadly, dad's condition finally caught up with him. It will be a year ago tomorrow. He missed the marriage of a granddaughter and the announcement of a great grandbaby several months later.

If we guarded our health the same way as we do our homes, businesses, "toys" and finances, things surely would be different.

Stepping down from my soap box,

JB

OldPaint

james.......the "widowmaker" i had was in my left artery. this is the same thing TIM RUSSERT died from. another cardiologist told me most who have this one have a 10% survival rate. while they was in there fixing that one, they did a probe into to the LEFT ANTERIOR DESCENDING..... and found a blockage forming at the apex of the Y in the vessel. now that is a serious problem..........AND SURVIVAL of this is ........1%!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is the one..........you hear of people eating right, exercising not smoking.......they are walking along one day, hit the floor and NEVER GET UP.

Sad to say, most middle-aged men have no clue of the left anterior descending artery otherwise known as the "LAD", and the dangerous condition called the "widowmaker".

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anterior_interventricular_branch_of_left_coronary_artery)

I became acutely aware of it when my father dodged a bullet nearly twenty years ago with his.

All men, listen up:

I've spent countless hours in numerous cardiac unit waiting rooms. I've consumed more than my fair share of outdated periodicals until I began observing the people that waddled past my field of view...arriving hourly for their diagnostic tests and procedures.

The number-one demographic that far out paced any other was the sedentary-lifestyle, middle-aged male...moderately to morbidly obese.

With a starting price tag of $12,000 and upwards for a heart cath, this self-inflicted market appears to be a promising business model for hospitals.

Sadly, dad's condition finally caught up with him. It will be a year ago tomorrow. He missed the marriage of a granddaughter and the announcement of a great grandbaby several months later.

If we guarded our health the same way as we do our homes, businesses, "toys" and finances, things surely would be different.

Stepping down from my soap box,

JB

So sorry for the loss of your dad. That is so tough and sad.
It's true, we should all keep things in moderation, honestly though, we just never know when our time is.

My husband had a 6 way bypass 3 years ago. Non- smoker, an occasional beer, not over weight at all, eats healthy, gets lots of exercise.
Well, one day he thinks he has allergies because he's short of breath, goes to the doc on a Friday and is in surgery the next Monday. (had to wait because the surgeon was in Vegas getting married! LOL)

Turns out the whole left side of his heart was barely getting any blood. To top it off, he had a large blood clot sitting there and the only reason it hadn't killed him was that the artery was pinched on both sides of it...I always refer to that as "The fingers of God" keeping that clot from going anywhere.

The surgeon said he had a typical Diabetic heart ...we had no idea he was diabetic! You just never know. There's no reason for him to be alive with the condition he was in ...except Grace and his time wasn't up yet.

skyhigh

Pretty funny Fred...... and perfect timing

About 9 years ago, I had my first Heart Cath. I had my second one the beginning of the week (monday).

Both Cath's were preceded by an "Undetermined" stress test. That along with my high cholesterol, overweight and high blood pressure, the doctors insisted I have a Cath.

Both times the doctors said I had absolutely no blockages or plaque build-up. The one doctor even used the term "Clean as a Whistle".

I'm a medical oddity I guess. Or, all that bacon grease keeps my arteries too slippery for anything to stick? JK

ps. Not making light of "heart troubles" or taking care of yourself, by any means. My immediate family has had more than it share of heart related problems.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hmpfh... and here I thought you were already 90. :doh:

I'd go get a second opinion. My doctor tells me he wishes he was in the shape I'm in for the shape I'm in....... :banghead: Then I tell him, he's like 15 years younger than me.

Go have a few drinks, stay out all night, paint the town red and send me $80 in the morning.