• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

window perf and laminates

AUTO-FX

i'm looking for any suggestions pls&thx . i have been putting oracal perforated prints with 290 laminate on the back windows of dodge caravans. they have a curve in 2 directions and it's a b**ch putting them on nice and straight. they have printed a tag line needs to be straight across. i was thinking of trying the clearfocus curvalam. is that laminate going to conform better than 290? and is it glossy or luster? - their website doesnt really say. i am also considering a liquid laminate like clearstar or frogjuice, but there's a rear wiper on caravans and i think it might wreck 'em.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Curvalam is not a great product at all, you should be having success with your 290 (are you using the 290GF optically clear)

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
If your using the Oracal perf you should consider my perf, its as close to Clear Focus as anything on the market and its only $0.41 a sq.ft

bigprinter

To get straight type on curved windows you have to warp the text in photoshop or illy. It's a trial and error thig, had to do it more times then I can count.

AUTO-FX

Yeah, i thought about distorting the image like i do with cut vinyl on hoods and the like, just not sure it will still fit on 30" perf vinyl. it's gonna be close. i read in another thread that optically clear film and a good cast are essentially the same stock and adhesive, just a different liner that is perfectly smooth. Anyone know for sure? i am thinking oracal 293 will be the most conformable because it's 1 mil. Gino posted a thread once where his customer couldnt see that well out the back because of the distance to the glass from the mirror, so i'm thinking "optically clear" will be a moot point, but 1mil laminate will give me the conformability i need. Thanks, guys, and thanks for the heads up Bigfish, if you say it's as good, i'll give it a try on my next order for pref.