• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window tint glue removal

shuv76

Hello ,,my problem is I have a car with the window tint removed but the glue is still on the window.
I know now that I should have used a steamer and pulled them off together at one time but did not know it at that time. It is on the rear window with defrost lines.
I have tried a lot of different things but found notheing that works. All I see that will work is the razor blade but I cannot use it because of defrost lines.
Does anyone have any suggetions? Thank You

Kottwitz-Graphics

The defogger lines make it a pain in the backside. And using a steamer wouldn't have been much of a help.

I have used soapy water and a super fine steel wool. I suppose using rapid remover would help.

MikePro

no brainer. adhesive remover.
Rapid Remover, Cut-Thru, GooGone, its all good.
...and some elbow grease.

edited to add: I usually use a plastic squeegee or plastic scraper too of sorts to aid the RapidRemover. Helps break down the adhesive, save your knuckles some effort, and is great for squeegeeing clumps of adhesive rather than smearing around with a rag.

Last edited:

BobM

+1 for the Rapid Remover. Will take a couple of applications. You can use a plastic razor blade VERY GENTLY,

shuv76

After further study of the window tint.. It has been 1 layer of tint removed. I thought what was left was glue but it is not . It is another layer of tint.
Do you think if I applied some vinyl over it and then steamed it , that it would peel off somewhat?
You cannot even hardly touch it with a razor blade. Any more ideas? Thanks

shuv76

The defogger lines make it a pain in the backside. And using a steamer wouldn't have been much of a help.

I have used soapy water and a super fine steel wool. I suppose using rapid remover would help.

I found out what works! It is paint stripper applied and let set for 20 minutes and it comes right off. Amazing!!

toodark

tint removal

wet window/tint down with ammonia, cover with black plastic bag set in sun for a few hours and tint will fall right off