• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window tint newbie

Billct2

My best customer asked me to price tinting windows in one of their locations. Actually they wanted to cover them with vinyl but I suggested tint may be a better option.These are "celestory" windows, there's a bump up on the roof that has 3' tall windows all around it. Easy access from the flat roof. I know some of you have tint experience so I have a few questions. First is it OK to apply tint on the outside? Recommended suppliers and materials. Any tips on installation or websites to use for research?
Thanks

Charlie J

Tint must go on the inside. If you've never tinted anything before I suggest you get a sample roll and try tinting something of your own. It's not the easiest material to work with. One misplaced cut will ruin an entire piece.

I suggest tintdude.com for research. It's the "signs101" of window tinting.

AUTO-FX

If it was edge sealed, it would be okay. Being on the outside doesnt expose it to anything more than being on the inside with the exception of moisture.Automotive applications go through temp extremes and variable sun/UV exposure, and mild abrasion from going up and down along weatherstripping. Rain may affect it after awhile unless its edge sealed.

AUTO-FX

Hey Bill, a heads up on the tinting - make sure you clean clean clean , and when you go to apply the tint, float the piece (lots of app fluid) into position with the backing intact, trim it to fit, and then peel that backing out from behind the film.Lots of app fluid. You'll want to try to minimize the exposure of the adhesive to wind borne dust particles.

Billct2

Yeah, I've been watching some youtube stuff on installing.
Is my regular app fluid (Rapidtac) OK? And I saw mention of clear silicone for edge sealing, are they talking about regular GE silicone? One good thing about this job, it's seen from about 40' below.

AUTO-FX

I would mix up some water with johnsons baby shampoo, or buy app fluid from tint supplier. Tint adhesive is sensitive to PH levels and chemicals to maintain clarity. Johnsons baby shampoo is acid/alkaline neutral. The pre made stuff stays slippery longer, more user friendly, especially for newbie. Regular GE silicone.

WildWestDesigns

Hey Bill, a heads up on the tinting - make sure you clean clean clean , and when you go to apply the tint, float the piece (lots of app fluid) into position with the backing intact, trim it to fit, and then peel that backing out from behind the film.Lots of app fluid. You'll want to try to minimize the exposure of the adhesive to wind borne dust particles.

Every time we have had our windows tinted, it seems like they went through gallons of the stuff (not really, but it was a lot).

But the above is almost identical to what I remember those guys doing. I say almost identical, because my memory isn't what it used to be. Although I'm pretty sure it is identical.