• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows....Cal vs. Cast

ZsVinylInc

Hey everyone I am getting ready to big a project that has a lot of window graphics. Normally when we do anything in cut vinyl we use something like Oracal 751 or better. I have heard that you should use cast and not calendered. Most of what we have to do is prints so I was looking at using either Oracals 3165 or 3551 or 3M's new IJ 35C but all are calendered. Any info or suggestions or reasons why i should up it to a cast for sure would be greatly appreciated.

ZsVinylInc

Well I had thought so too but I thought I would see what other people thought. I already landed part of this job and am getting ready to bid the other half and want to make sure I get it all. I just don't see in my eyes why you would use something like 3951 or IJ 180 because who knows...in five years they will probably want to change it anyways.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
i'd only use a cast vinyl on windows....especially if it's on the outside...if an inside install....maybe calendared, but that depends on the direction the store front faces...

gabagoo

Calendered vinyl has a pretty high shrink rate and a southerly exposure would increase the shrinkage. Having said that I would give the customer the option as I have tested calendered vinyl on a southerly application and yes it does shrink but you will get 5 years out of it and the ink will be fading by the 5th year. In fact I have 2 decals I did in oct 06 on my back door printed on calendered. Both are holding up as far as shrinkage...no problem. One is laminated and one is not, the non laminated has faded slightly but only noticeable when compared to the laminated version. If you are quoting against other companies make sure your comparing apples to apples.

gabagoo

I use General Formualtions and have had good results with it. It is not a vinyl that is generally known as they make branded vinyl for major suppliers in the US. It is very similar to Oracle 3651, but cheaper!!!! no grey blockout back either. I am in Canada and it is sold as General Formulations. Just do a search for them and call the head office they will tellyou who a reseller is.

ZsVinylInc

I use General Formualtions and have had good results with it. It is not a vinyl that is generally known as they make branded vinyl for major suppliers in the US. It is very similar to Oracle 3651, but cheaper!!!! no grey blockout back either. I am in Canada and it is sold as General Formulations. Just do a search for them and call the head office they will tellyou who a reseller is.

If you are saying you are using a material that is similar to Oracals 3651 then you are using a calendered. I just pulled out my Oracal Inkjet Media guide and 3651 is considered an "ULTRA-CALENDERED" vinyl.

gabagoo

OH yes I know that. If I were to use a 2ml I would probably go with the 3m controltac. Sorry I thought the question was in reference to calenedered vinyl. As a side note I have heard that general formulations is going to introduce a comply high end calendered vinyl that is supposed to be acceptable for doing wraps. Should be interesting to see the price point.

Jillbeans

I usually do use Oracal 651 on windows.
It's thicker and easier for me to apply dry.
Now if I was backing SignGold on glass I would definitely use cast.
Love....Jill

ZsVinylInc

Ok so I think that i am going to try the new 3M IJ35C for this job. While I was looking into the 3M laminates they suggest to use for this there are no gloss laminates. They are all either matte or luster. Being as we will also be using white Oracal 751 that will have a gloss look to it we wanted to make sure the prints also had a gloss look to them.

What I am wondering is how many people have used the Oracal laminates with 3M vinyls and had good success. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.