• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Work flow for printing movie poster sized art, desperately need mentoring!

Kevin Schultz

I'm looking at buying a 54" tru-vis print/cut and I'm wanting to print art on rolled paper at a size of 27"x40". Would I be best suited to buy paper pre-cut to 40"? What mechanism would you use for clean edge cuts separating pieces? If anyone has any experience in this or has a link to something I could read, I'd would certainly appreciate the help

Kevin

greysquirrel

Don’t honk you can use cut sheets on Roland…you can get a Neolithic rotary trimmer and trim each one individually, you can buy a fotobo and print a full roll cut a full roll or a CNBC to do the same…what’s your budget..what other work do you do..

ikarasu

Are you looking to print actual posters?

If so... Get an aqueous printer. Like an Epson 9890, better quality and meant for printing on paper. A solvent is more for vinyl, not posters

Last edited:

Kevin Schultz

Are you looking to print actual posters?

If so... Get an aqueous printer. Like an Epson 9890, better quality and meant for printing on paper. A solvent is more for vinyl, not posters
I'm hoping to print vinyl and on paper.

Sent from my SM-S906W using Tapatalk

ikarasu

True via would be best then.

As long as you understand you won't have photographic quality prints on a solvent.. solvent printers are decent quality, but compared to aqueous you can easily tell the difference.

Make sure to get a sample printed on the machines you're looking at to make sure you're happy with the quality. Imo, aqueous is great at poster / photo prints... And "ok" at vinyl. And solvent is vice versa... I wouldn't try to run a poster business on our solvent, and I wouldnt try to run a vinyl business on our aqueous.

rjssigns

I'm looking at buying a 54" tru-vis print/cut and I'm wanting to print art on rolled paper at a size of 27"x40". Would I be best suited to buy paper pre-cut to 40"? What mechanism would you use for clean edge cuts separating pieces? If anyone has any experience in this or has a link to something I could read, I'd would certainly appreciate the help

Kevin
Let's back up a minute. Need more information.

What is your core business? This will define printer requirements along with ancillary equipment or if it's even feasible.
Reproductions? You'll need a drum or wide format scanner.
Fine art? Same as reproductions but you'll have to invest in color control equipment to generate custom profiles.

What is your expected print volume? This ties in with equipment and space and a host of other things.

Are you a start up?
Do you have experience? Photoshop is a must as you will need to make corrections/touch ups.
Need to know the above because either way there will be a steep learning curve. Especially for art that people can "put their nose on" (close up viewing)
These folks are fussy and close enough won't cut it.

Final thoughts: Trying to buy one printer to do it all will lead to compromises. You need to take a serious look at exactly what you want to do then focus on that particular equipment set.

White Haus

Not a Newbie

Kevin

As already mentioned, what you're trying to achieve (printing paper sheets) isn't ideal or efficient on a Roland roll printer.

You could technically get rolls of solvent-receptive paper/synthetic paper and run them on a Roland, but it's not going to be great or efficient.

Assuming you can find rolls of paper, you would print roll to roll then cut by hand with a straight-edge and Olfa knife.