• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Work shop layout what did you think ...

Guimb0

Im looking to build a new workshop at my backyard.
I have a wrap business at home and all of the production was made inside the house but for installation i need a place to.
I plan a 24' wide and 28' deep with a garage door of 10' wide an height.
The left side have 8' on two stage for storage and media.

I do wrap on :
-ATV, watercraft, small boat, car, pickup, small cube truck and trailers

Feel free for suggest to make a better workspace.

attachment.php

Attachments

• workshop plan.jpg
    workshop plan.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 167

Gino

Premium Subscriber
My first shop was 28' × 34' and we were tripping over each other before the first year was up. The rent was cheap, but hadda move out by the second year. To me, that sounds good, but you won't be able to grow your business with those confines.

In other words, if you were a cabinet shop or a mechanic, that would be great, but what happens to sign people is...... one day, someone comes in and has a 26' walk-in or cube van. Now you're screwed. I would definitely go to 50' if you can. Of ourse,not knowing the size of your back yard, this might not be possible.

Guimb0

Thank's
No i'm not be able to make it too much bigger than that at this time i wait to buy next door house :)
but 10' x10' door is enough or i have to plan a 10'x 12' ?
attachment.php

Attachments

• certificat de localisation .jpg
    certificat de localisation .jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 132

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It will be nice in the beginning, but you will outgrow that in no time....... if you're good. If you were older and no choice, then have at it. Many people here ha e small backyard shops or whatever. They snot grow and are forced to stay in the niche they created.

Our last shop was almost 14,000 sf, but where we are now is 8,800 sf and we can service almost anything. Most of our customers have fleets of trucks and we can handle up to 5 vehicles under roof at one time. We do lotsa chain stores and make indoor displays which usually fills the shop. Our old shop had a whole section for making electrical signs and channels. Today, we basically order knock down kits, so we did away with that portion .

Not saying you hafta follow in our footsteps, but without enough space, you're forced to make do. So, by sinking a lotta money into a small shop, you are tightening the noose around your neck.

Zambookajoe

I'd go bigger, I dont know your business situation, but I started in a similar situation
as you, we went to a 3200 sq ft shop and in 3 years , I have no more room to grow
we have 16 ft doors and I can fit the biggest and baddest equipment, we have a big advantage over our competition