• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Worth it to keep putting money into 14 yr old XC-540?

Bryce I

I'm Brie
I'm the one man print dept. at a small but very busy sign/wrap/print shop. We have two of the newer True-Vis printers, and enough jobs to keep them both going all day, not to mention a crazy amount of time spent trouble shooting issues with these tricky machines. It doesn't leave a lot of room to put love into this old Sol Jet Xc-540 that my boss built the company with, that just gathers dust in the corner (I wipe it down and do head cleanings weekly). It's in pretty good shape, as far as the guts and major components. A lot of parts have been replaced over the years, motors and heads and strips pretty new.. But it is just a very old machine. For every part you replace, there's some other hose, or plastic piece, or ball bearings in there that are just worn down. Currently getting a service call error when you turn it on. Before that, it would turn on, but when you hit setup, it would give an error saying the pinch roll was in an invalid position, even though it wasn't. Before that, we had to replace the scan motor and some other parts I don't remember. It's always something.
Even with the issues, this is is a great old machine. they don't make them like they used to. When it was running, it's prints were easily superior to ones off the new printer, and it's far more user friendly. It feels like the difference between an old truck that you can work on yourself, and a newer car that's all plastic and computers under the hood. In the right hands, someone who enjoys DIY tinkering on old printers, I think it could go for some years, and really be worth the few grand we would need to part ways with it. Is there a market for that, or are printers like this considered obsolete? Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you take the emotion(s) outta the equation, it sounds like a good machine for YOU to buy from your boss, thus freeing up any future replacement or labor costs on the machine and as you've said, it would only take a few thousand for you to have a good running machine for yourself. Make him an offer and take it home with you tonight.

LarryB

I got rid of my Soljet 6 months ago as the repair costs exceeded it's value. It was a great machine but didn't have time to keep fixing it or dumping good money into it. Bought a TruVis also to replace it.

Bryce I

I'm Brie
If you take the emotion(s) outta the equation, it sounds like a good machine for YOU to buy from your boss, thus freeing up any future replacement or labor costs on the machine and as you've said, it would only take a few thousand for you to have a good running machine for yourself. Make him an offer and take it home with you tonight.
Tempting, but not the path I'm on. This could be a great investment for someone who enjoys DIY tinkering, taking stuff apart and putting it back together, fixing stuff etc. That's not really me. I just work at the print shop, and my passions/side hustles aren't print related. Also this is a small town and I'm not trying to go into competition with my boss. The Soljet really does need to end up in the right hands for it to be a valuable purchase. Someone with experience working on these printers, or a highly motivated person willing to learn the nitty gritty of printer maintenance. It's a lot, but the right person could spend much less than the cost of a new printer, and enjoy some great mileage on this.

Bryce I

I'm Brie
I got rid of my Soljet 6 months ago as the repair costs exceeded it's value. It was a great machine but didn't have time to keep fixing it or dumping good money into it. Bought a TruVis also to replace it.
That's pretty much where we're at. Were you able to get any value for the soljet? Right now I'm not sure if we should spend whatever more to get it at least running and then post it for sale, or just try to sell it as is and be rid of it. I really believe a great but old machine like this holds some value but to a very specific niche. These things were like $25-30,000 new, and with all the new parts, it prints better than the new ones when it's working. It hasn't printed anything in months though, and if someone wanted to make an offer and just get it out of here we would probably be stoked.

Goatshaver

I think it depends of if you definitely are getting money from it or not in the end. If you're current setup is more than enough then I'd say part with it.
That's what I've been thinking for my SP-540V, I keep it for one job I run and might need a new head, so to me it's not worth it. I'm trying to sell it but that seems like it might be a challenge with it's age.

LarryB

That's pretty much where we're at. Were you able to get any value for the soljet? Right now I'm not sure if we should spend whatever more to get it at least running and then post it for sale, or just try to sell it as is and be rid of it. I really believe a great but old machine like this holds some value but to a very specific niche. These things were like $25-30,000 new, and with all the new parts, it prints better than the new ones when it's working. It hasn't printed anything in months though, and if someone wanted to make an offer and just get it out of here we would probably be stoked.
It needed a couple of new heads so I ended up selling it for $2500 on Ebay. It was a great machine but I'm glad it's gone. Always something fixing to break.