• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Would an S2 T series plotter solve my issues?

upandup

I have a D75 I've been using for about 6 months. Generally it has done a good job, but my work is very specific, so I can't change my work to compensate for some issues/possible limitations I've had with the D75. I'm wondering if the S2 model along with tangential will resolve these. Issues below.

1. I print sheets of stickers on my 4sx along with opos marks for my D75. The way it prints I maximize the single pass width (~3.8"?) for my 4sx, so my copies end up being about 1/2" apart. When I load into my D75 it sometimes picks up the wrong opos mark and naturally cuts the entire sheet high, which means I end up babysitting. I read the S2 model has mechanical opos camera, would this help this issue?

2. I have to cut my graphic very close to the 2 marks and black bar on the bottom of the row. When the D75 hits the left of the machine to drop the opos and drags it back across it leaves light scratches on the bottom of the stickers. Usually not an issue unless I'm printing metallics (which I do frequently), but when I do I don't have a way to resolve this currently. Again, will the S2 mechanical opos resolve this issue so the camera is never dragging across the print?

3. Flexcutting - I flex cut every sheet I print. Usually it is pretty good, but it will randomly start to cut poorly and then randomly start cutting better with no settings changed. Will tangential improve the consistency of flexcutting? Any other suggestions on sheeting my output other than flexcut?

4. WEEDING!!! - This one is absolutely killing me. I've actually posted another thread a while back with no resolution. I've spoken with Summa tech support and everything I've tried has not helped. I use a Avery 1360 laminate and Summa clear vinyl. The summa vinyl without laminate weeds perfect, but once I apply the laminate I have to hold down the sticker to weed or they come off the backing. Needless to say, it takes way too long. Could the tangential be my key to smooth weeding?

Christian @ 2CT Media

Laminated vinyl and weeding is not a good combo in general. We have a Latex and S2-160T and have issues with weeding laminated vinyl.

What we find works best for us is to leave the vinyl to "Settle" for a day after cutting. This allows the vinyl to seperate a little and then we can weed it alot easier.

Item 1, you need to set up your marks to print further apart. We print ours at the standard 19.68"

Item 2, I don't have a opos cam but we have issues with scratching and have learned to just add a dead row that we can toss if damaged.

Item 3, Flexcutting is a fickle feature as it is on every brand of cutter except flatbeds. We have run everything really slow on the feed rates and we add alot more tabs then most but keep them way smaller then suggested.

ProColorGraphics

I started out with the D75 and moved to a S140T, the S2 weren't out yet when I got mine. From my experience personally, it did solve a lot of the issues that I was having. I don't have the OPOS CAM, but the sensor doesn't seem to drag or scratch any of my prints. Reading the registration marks is better, the cutting is a lot more accurate. Is it perfect 100% of the time, no, but it is way better than what I used to deal with.

As far as reading the marks, I am running through Caldera and always just used the stock setting for spacing.

I do a lot of flex cutting on mine as well. I do think the tangential will help, but it is still a lot to do with the setup of knife depth and pressure. It will take a little bit to get used to when going to a tangential, but any experience plotter user should be able to catch on in a short amount of time. I would recommend it!

Split76

I have used s2 140t for 2 years with my hp latex. It's great, i will never ever use drag knife cutter with prints anymore :) My other cutter is s120d and i'm fed up with it. Bought it 2008, and this week ordered new s2 120t. I have replaced (in last 3 years) 2 motors, pinchrollers, cutting strip (many times), knife holder and cutting head (it broke down) but i think the tangential cutter makes my life easier and weeding more flawless.
I'm just hoping the quality of s2 cutters are ok, i have had 2 bad cutting heads with my s2 140t. Warranty has covered both, (2300euros/piece).
First time coil fed up and with second unit "up-down encoder not working....Reboot"
Now the warranty is up, and i'm not going to spend 2300e / year for that for sure.

FrankW

Whenever you set OPOS Markers in very low distance, you take the risk that a different marker is read. There is no difference between D and T, OPOS X and OPOS CAM. I do not know what you mean with a "mechanical" OPOS-Sensor, the OPOS X-Sensors are the same.

An OPOS CAM will not be lowered on the media, could avoid scratches. But you could also try to upgrade your firmware, as far as I remember they have done some improvements for such issues. Most of the time the knife scrateches, not the OPOS Sensor.

FlexCutting can be more precise on Tangential Plotters. Be shure to use the "accurate" instead of "fast" FlexCut Mode.