• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Would you switch?

texas_D

Keep in Mind, Printer companies are not ink manufacturers. So most of these 3rd party inks are probably the same thing that the OEM's put in "their" inks. So really see how much does it save you in the long run, even if you have to pay for repairs. If you take good care of your machines you should save a lot. just my $.02

AllSquare Jason

I need an advice!
I am using the original Roland ink cartridges and the magenta is almost running out so i called Fellers and spoke to a good representative there and she said that they sell Solaris Max and it's $85 vs $120 for Roland's.
My question is: would it void the warranty on the printer if i used 3rd part ink?

First off, $120 is Roland's list price on ink. That is high.

As far as the Roland warranty - here is the breakdown........

OEM inks, printer is covered under warranty the entire time, no questions asked. Once out of warranty, use what ever inks you like (but be aware of the issues you MAY face - try searching the forums). If you are under warranty and the 3rd party ink causes your failure - they DO NOT have to warranty the machine. The 3rd Party Ink manufacture SHOULD assume responsibility if the ink caused the failure (heads are typically what go down). Ask to see the warranty from the 3rd party ink manufacture -

Most new Roland printers come with 2 year warranty's now - however it's actually a ONE YEAR warranty.......you only get the 2nd year IF you are running OEM inks. This is all part of the Roland warranty agreement.

I get at least one call from customers a week about using 3rd party inks. My reply is simple "If there was a good one that worked with no issues, I'd be selling it."

I can't tell you how many heads we've had to replace from 3rd party inks this year alone. I could also tell you the 3rd party brands - but it's probably best if we don't go there.

ChiknNutz

I've had nothing BUT 3rd party ink (Triangle MLD) in my printer. In the nearly 3 years that I've had it, not a single ink-related issue. At the time I got my machine, the original Roland ink sucked-@$$ and was far inferior to the newer Max ink. It was easy to rub off, the color gamut wasn't as good, and of course more expensive. If the Max ink had been out then, I may not have chosen a 3rd party ink because it is a far-sight better than the original Roland ink. However, the ink has proven to be very good in all aspects so I have absolutely nothing bad to say about it. In a bulk setup, you can realize approx. 60% savings over OEM. So, say what you will, but I can tell you that my experience has been nothing but positive with the one and only ink I've tried.

AllSquare Jason

Keep in Mind, Printer companies are not ink manufacturers. So most of these 3rd party inks are probably the same thing that the OEM's put in "their" inks. So really see how much does it save you in the long run, even if you have to pay for repairs. If you take good care of your machines you should save a lot. just my $.02

While this is correct, printer manufacures work with thier ink suppliers to come up with the best formulation possible to flow with said print heads.

There is a ton of R & D going into Roland, Mimaki, Mutoh, and HP inks.

AllSquare Jason

I've had nothing BUT 3rd party ink (Triangle MLD) in my printer. In the nearly 3 years that I've had it, not a single ink-related issue...............However, the ink has proven to be very good in all aspects so I have absolutely nothing bad to say about it. In a bulk setup, you can realize approx. 60% savings over OEM. So, say what you will, but I can tell you that my experience has been nothing but positive with the one and only ink I've tried.

Some have had no issues at all and swear by thier 3rd party inks.....but all you have to do is search this and other printer forums to see issues that others have had with 3rd party inks. And not just on the solvent side - many with pigment and sublimation inks as well.

However, I will say that IF I were looking at 3rd party inks to resell.....Triangle would be the one I would really take a look at. Last time I checked, they did not offer plug and play 220/440 carts for the Roland.

Anyone know if this still the case???

cdiesel

I'd have to say that I believe MOST head failures that occur on systems running bulk ink is not a function of the ink causing a failure, but lack of cleaning. Triangle inks are more aggressive than the OEM inks, which means you have to keep up on the cleaning schedule.

dr_h792

They cannot void the warranty, it is illegal....
it doen't void the warranty of the printer...just everything the ink touches...ink lines, dampers, cap tops, heads and pumps. if the printers motor or mother board goes...then its still covered.

PartyMatt

Tech..
I agree the price differance per job is so minimal.. its not worth fiddling with differant inks to me.

That depends a lot on your business model. If you do wraps/vehicle graphics and charge your customers $15/sqft, then saving $0.30/sqft on ink doesn't make sense. It doesn't make much more sense if you are selling banners and signs for $6 - $8 /sqft.

Not everyone works on the low volume, high price model. A guy doing wholesale vinyl printing may only get $2/sqft. Party stores, like mine, sell banners to consumers rather than businesses and usually only get $3 - $4/sqft. We're also looking at marketing to political campaigns (my brother is active in local politics) and they are some notoriously cheap bastards. They are used to buying screen-printed bumper stickers for $0.25 each. We will be hard pressed to get more than $0.60 for a digitally printed sticker with these people, but we are hoping to work it into a package and make money on the banners.

For guys who don't get the big bucks for their printing, ink savings can add a lot to the bottom line. We are looking hard at Lyson right now, but won't make the change until we hear more user feedback.