• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Would you...................

Maxphobia

I'd give it up he paid for it at least that was his understanding and yeah like everyone else here has said repeat customer so make him a happy repeat costumer

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Like I said.... I guess I was blindsided.

I was originally charging him to do something, then he changed the parameters with more than asked when originally requested. I told him I'd have to fix it for our moving forward or he could get the original guy to do it. He chose us to make it workable and I must've thought that was the end.

Somewhere along the line.... after finishing it, he asked for some of our supplies, which in this case happens to be a file.

My thinking is very simple. We created this file for us, for us to use in order to proceed with his job. We were paid for the extra time and I don't feel it's right he comes to me almost three weeks later and asks for OUR file.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong or even appropriate...... I just don't see how someone thinks something along the progress of fabricating a job/project becomes their property and actually has the sense that they deserve it.

I recently bought a used truck and there is something in it I just can't figure out. I've had it to 3 different mechanics and no one can tell me what's going on..... but the dealer I got it from won't tell me the guy's name who previously owned it because he doesn't feel that's kosher due to that law about privacy for the ex-owner. For crying out loud, I just want to ask a question...... not like I wanna drill the guy. How is that hurting anyone.

Okay, guess they're not connected, but you get my drift. Ownership of files I created whether for my use or just for sh!ts and giggles.... I charged him for doing something which was needed and he now wants something we never negotiated about.

• How many of you charge a PITA fee to customers ??
  • How many charge a rush fee ??
  • Do you charge for the whole piece of substrate and give the cut-off back ??
  • Do you know exactly what amount of ink you're using to print a job ??
  • How many quote a job, figuring it will take $XX.00 amount of materials, labor and profit and missed your mark by a mile ?? Do you give all the money back you took from them if they are happy ??
  • Why would anyone give up something, not specifically paid for ??

Like I said in the beginning..... if it's a choice or wording, I might see it, but everyone of you is saying or indicating it's industry protocol to hand it over because.... and you have no justification except.... why not and I've given several reasons why I was questioning it.

As I already mentioned, I'll probably just hand it over, but something like this could get out of hand if people can tell you how to run your own business. It seems it has gotten to this level because as I also said, this couldn't happen years ago. This is a loophole created by the computer and all the wannabees.

Border

Once again...
The only "out" I can think of on this would be to tell your customer that is not your place to hand over the vectored artwork because you were not the original designer, however, if the original artist gives you permission to hand it over, you will be glad to.

Think about if you were the original designer and your custy took your jpeg to have someone else vectorize it after you gave them a price for doing it yourself and releasing it?

I think my answer covers your butt both ways.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
sounds like you are using information he offered (about his other GA) against him. can't hold the customer liable for what the other guy is charging, even if you know his other option is going to charge 4 times as much as you are.

That said - our GA is on salary, and if a design job only takes 10 minutes, no way we're going to charge for it. Of course, we're within 4 miles of 14 other sign shops, so we gotta do what we gotta do to stay competitive.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No, not at all using anything against him.... in fact, I told him to save money and go to his designer.... he should have this stuff already. No sense in paying us to do something if he already has it. Again, I was merely vectorizing for my/our needs, not vectorizing for him to have it on file. That would've been a different cost. No where did I tell him when I was finished he could have the files. Thinking about it now, since it took him so long to ask me, I'll bet his designer told him what to say and do. Let that guy make his logo files.

Oh, and we have close to about 75 to 80 sign shops in our phone book with about 50 or so of them within a 5 mile or so radius. That doesn't account for the many that aren't listed at all.