• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrap material suggestion for color change

bigben

I've been in the sign business for almost 20 years now but we don't do vehicles. I would like to try wrapping my motorcycle (indian challenger) this winter to change the color and would like to know what brand/series of material I should choose. My first idea was going with 3M or avery but I don't know how easy they are to work with. So I'm looking for advise from veteran out here.

Thanks.

Ben

Billct2

We don't do a lot of color change wraps, only for existing clients, but had good luck with both 3M and Oracal. We have bought from Fellers because you can buy by the yard.

bigben

We don't do a lot of color change wraps, only for existing clients, but had good luck with both 3M and Oracal. We have bought from Fellers because you can buy by the yard.
I'm in Canada. From my current suppliers, the brand I can have by the yard is 3M, Avery, Hexis and Metamark.

bigben

3M is not as conformable as many other brands. We use Avery, Oracal,& KPMF as some of our favorites.
Did you ever tried Hexis? How is it compared to Avery and 3M?
I like 3M but any of the other major brands will work fine. I can say if you don't have wrapping experience starting with a motorcycle will be a challenge. Get ready to cuss a lot and have some good adult beverages ready.
I know very well I'm not starting with something easy. This is why I do it over the winter. And my beer fridge is in the garage, less than 4 feet of the motorcycle lift. ;)

Superior_Adam

Did you ever tried Hexis? How is it compared to Avery and 3M?

I know very well I'm not starting with something easy. This is why I do it over the winter. And my beer fridge is in the garage, less than 4 feet of the motorcycle lift. ;)
Its always fun to try and do new things but can get very frustrating. Have fun with it and the good thing is it wont be huge pieces if you gotta start over.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I've been in the sign business for almost 20 years now but we don't do vehicles. I would like to try wrapping my motorcycle (indian challenger) this winter to change the color and would like to know what brand/series of material I should choose. My first idea was going with 3M or avery but I don't know how easy they are to work with. So I'm looking for advise from veteran out here.

Thanks.

Ben
see if you can download some videos from the wrap institute with justin pate. He's got a few videos on wrapping motorcycles. that gas tank...there is a way to wrap it in one shot with an ir heater... easier said than done. you will probably have to seam the gas tank. justin pate has videos on how to seam the gas tank. we've only done a couple because mainly they take as much time as a car to wrap and the money just isnt there. The few that we have done came with a hefty price tag.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
we've never had any luck with vivid at all. we call it crap wrap
Agree... I'll use Vvivid's architectural films, textured leather, woodgrains, etc, the stuff few companies offer. And it's cheaper than Ni-Doc for the more budget jobs. It's great for small/ oddball jobs or accents, but they'd never be my go-to for anything large or full wraps.