• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrap Portfolio

Craig Sjoquist

I'm just going to say ...READ ...Mike Stevens Mastering Layout ...and... Dan Antonellis 2 books .....PLEASE.

I been hand lettering 35 years and get work because of many shops around here produce work like what you just showed, if they are lucky they last till they learn advertising design, and grow even more, seen alot of shops close because they don't want to learn advertising design.

What will you do ???

stoneandtle

I'm just going to say ...READ ...Mike Stevens Mastering Layout ...and... Dan Antonellis 2 books .....PLEASE.

I been hand lettering 35 years and get work because of many shops around here produce work like what you just showed, if they are lucky they last till they learn advertising design, and grow even more, seen alot of shops close because they don't want to learn advertising design.

What will you do ???

Thanks for the references. It doesn't really bother me how long it takes to learn it, because most of the time the art is given to me and I just print it. If I can't come up with something that the customer likes, I have a few other graphic resources who can create art, so it's not like an emergency or anything. I'd just like to learn some more and get comments and input from a variety of sources like this site.

Jillbeans

Man oh man.
You seem like a nice enough person so I will try to be kind.
What everyone said is true.
That is uglier than a hatful of @ssholes my friend.
:)
Of course the people who love you are going to say it's cool because to people who don't do layout and design all day, it might be cool.
After all, people wear Ed Hardy clothes, right?
We will give you tuff love here.
You can learn from it, or continue to produce things like this.
Learn to use better typography.
Make your letterstyles "go together" not compete like ugly broads at the bar at closing time to see who is the trashiest/most attention getting.
You want to get the right kind of attention.
Keep things consistent rather than all over the place.
Don't put brackets on an area code.
Don't squish or stretch text.
Like someone said, if you feel you have to outline everything in order for it to be legible, then perhaps it's the font choices and contrast.
Consider hiring a designer (we have some great ones) until your design skills equal your installation abilities.
Love....Jill

SignManiac

I'll jump in here and say that I believe good design for the most part is in one word, about contrast. Contrasting foregrounds and backgrounds, nice contrasting complimentary font choices. Contrasting shapes meaning design elements. Contrasting flavors and smells. A good design has a fragrance all its own. I like Ferrari red.

tcorn1965

Make your letterstyles "go together" not compete like ugly broads at the bar at closing time to see who is the trashiest/most attention getting.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Jill, you have a descriptive style that even I can understand...Nice!

Terry