• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrap removal for extra $?

GoodPeopleFlags

I'm thinking of doing some vehicle wrap removals on the side for extra money. I don't own the shop I work at; I get my hourly pay which covers my bills. I'm a single mama and looking for a way to make extra money. I've been in the biz for 20 years so I have lots of experience removing vinyl - just not wraps.

We don't do vehicle wraps (or remove them) at work so I don't feel like I'd be taking any work from the shop. I would tell my boss what I was doing. I would do the work at my house at night or on the weekends.

I've read some good tips here lately about using the steamer for removing. I would like to know if anyone knows of a contract for the customer to sign saying that I'm not responsible for any damage to the paint or any other things I need to say to cover my butt.

Any other suggestions or warnings are appreciated!

Circleville Signs

Biggest thing is what you just said. Create a waiver stating that you will be held harmless for any damage to the vehicle (paint/body) that may occur during the removal process. Also, that the customer acknowledges that you are not the installer, and are not responsible for damage caused due to faulty installation techniques. You need to have a place on the form where they indicate (and initial) the date the wrap was originally installed, and who the installation company was.

I'm sure there might be some other stuff, but those are the big issues.

Hicalibersigns

Great advice. On today's cars you are likely to lose paint. Be sure the customer knows you are not responsible. I will also add that the only way we do this in our shop (we have several fleet customers, so it is just part of the gig) is on a time and materials basis unless it was our wrap in the first place. Some of it peals off real easily, some of it is a real booger. We had one last week where the material on the hood was cracked and crazed. The biggest piece we could get off at a time was about the size of a postcard and then there was a thick coating of adhesive left to remove. I don't know what material the previous wrapper used, but it was crap. Also, you may want to look into Garagmen's insurance. This will cover the vehicle while it is in your possession. If it were to get hit or vandalized or some such you would be responsible.

Good luck. Frankly, I wish someone offered this service to us. I would rather keep our shop employees doing installs. You may be on to something.

GoodPeopleFlags

Good advice, hicaliber! It would be great if I could be on to something. I'm realistically thinking about it for extra money but I'd be lying if I said hadn't thought about that it would be cool if it took off as a biz.

I've been trying to figure out the best way to price, if it should be a per hour thing or if it should be a flat rate depending on the make and model of the car or truck. There are pros and cons to both.

For the per hour rate, I'd be covered when it was a big pain in the butt. But... the customer isn't going to like not knowing how much it would be until it was done and would definitely not be happy to pay more to take it off than it was to put it on.

For the flat rate, I'm screwed when it's a bad one. But on the easy ones, extra money. And the customer would like knowing how much it would be going in.

I would love some opinions on this.

Circleville Signs

Here's what will happen if you do flat rate pricing...

Word will get around, and people will start bringing you all the crap removals, and give the easy ones to the per hour folks.

GoodPeopleFlags

Good point. Although there aren't any other folks doing it, as far as I know. Not yet, anyway. But that's something I didn't think about. Thanks!

BobM

Once you've done a few of them you should be able to look at the job, try a couple of the most difficult areas and be able to give them a price. If it's a drop and run, hourly only.
I bring all the tools, steamer, heat gun, eraser, plenty of Rapid Remove and Rapid Prep and use the method that works best on that vehicle. I hate flat rate work because it does bring in the worst jobottom feeders.