• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrap vs. paint job

WB

I just got done what I thought was going to be a pretty straight forward wrap.

A guy came in and wanted his 2012 Volvo Tractor trailer (just the truck) wrapped in white. He just bought the truck and ended up getting a contract with a company and as part of the contract he needed a white truck not a metallic brown truck.

So we gave him a quote he accepted it and we started the Job. So the Job is to wrap the sides of the truck White, pretty much everything on the truck except the Hood and roof. The way he expained it to me was the company he was working for wanted a white truck to pull their white trailer, the trailers had 2 blue stripes and we'd supply the vinyl and he'd apply it afterwards so it lined up with his trailer.

So after 2.5 days of 8-9 hrs days we finished it up, I was happy with the results. It was by no means our best wrap ever, there was alot of thin Deep seams, alot of nasty molded plastic handles and steps that could not be wrapped with a single piece. We tried as much as possible to use the body lines of the truck so there were no seams but some of the panels were larger then our 54" material. From 5 feet away the truck looks great! it's gone from brown to White! So I call him and tell him it`s ready.

So he walks in the door an his 1st impression is WOW.. looks great guys! Just what I wanted, then he gets closer and starts point and and touching and sighing. It`s how come I can see brown here and why did you cut it there, how come there`s a seam here and on and on. He`s a really nice guy and I can see some of his points but give me a break.. he was expecting a paint job.

I know it`s partially our fault for not explaining it to him at the beginning, but when you talked to the guy it sounded like he wanted it white so he could snap a picture to satisfy his employer not take his truck to SEMA.

I know he shopped around before he came to us, a full paint job on a truck this size would easily be $10-15K and we wrapped it for $4300 not only did it take twice as long as I figure but we went through an entire roll of IJ180V3 and laminate.

What would you guys do in a situation like this? he still hasn`t picked up the truck, after he came to pick it up and wasn't pleased we told him we'd go over it and fix some things he wasn't happy about. So 2 of us spent another 5hrs going over seams, covering spots, trimming..

:banghead:

Charlie J

Without pics, its hard to say whether of not the guy is being too picky, or it's a poor installation.

Try your best to please the customer, but make sure he realizes that it's a wrap, not a custom paint job.

cooltouch

Truck drivers are mostly babies and gypsies. I worked as a safety director for a trucking company for a few years before getting the shop. Trucks goes thru hell and back. He'll put 400,000 miles on it in two years and sell it if not catch it on fire because he doesn't make sure he has good brakes on the truck or trailer.

However if his company is local I would see what he wants to make him happy without you breaking your bank or back and tell him to help you out with his company. Trucking companies are gold mines for vinyl business. We have 4 trucking companies we regularly do signs for trucks and trailers so it a nice paycheck.

shakey0818

Have you ever wrapped before or took a class?Sounds like all the hours to install and fix would have been more cost effective to sub out the install.

JoshLoring

Anybody wants a solid color wrap.. Price triples.
And.. I usually tell them it would be better to get it painted. These people expect a paint like finish and unless you tell them it's not gonna happen then they will eat you alive!
We once did a black wrap for someone in gloss (that they picked from our swatch book) on a white car.. Their complaint after a virtually flawless install... "I thought it would be glossier.. We want a refund"

kylebrk

We turn away every solid color wrap request we get.

I would tell him that a wrap is not a paint job. That's why the price is what it is. Just tell him that it meets your quality standard. Tell him you apologize for the misconception he had, but the wrap is completely within your quality standards. Stay firm and polite. He would have hemmed and hawed no matter what. It's what a** hats like that do. He's just trying to get it for free.

Mosh

I would have pulling it and in stipped it off...ask anyone who knows me in person, also he might of had a black eye....

WB

He's picking it up today. I'll snap some pictures before he leaves.

I told him there's a good chance that some corner some where on the truck is bond to lift with all the rain, snow and salt this thing is going to see (we live in Atlantic Canada) I've given him all the off cuts we had so he can repair anything if he needs to.

I have a feeling he'll accept it but he's not going to be thrilled, he was the type of person that was opening the doors and complaining the the seems on the inside weren't even. It doesn't matter if I spend 20 more hours on the truck he'll find something wrong.

mgieske

Always manage your customer's expectations from the beginning. The client isn't to blame if he was not aware of the extent of the seam work up front. I'd suggest mentioning the paint protection aspect of the wrap. He may just get the cost of the wrap back upon resale of the truck.

GypsyGraphics

don't just take photos from a distance... take photos of the door jams and seams and if it's a truck, the space between the cab and bed... so you can educate future customers.

it's up to you to dispel their expectation that it will look like a paint job.

mikefine

Put something in your contract stating that wraps are designed and engineered at billboard quality, meaning they are intended to be viewed from a 10-20 foot distance.

WB

All is well..

He came in yesterday to pick it up and I think he had some time to think it over. We addressed all his concerns so he left a happy camper.. Lesson learned here..

here's some pics

At least the boss approved

Attachments

• imgp1134x.jpg
    imgp1134x.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 69
  • imgp1136b.jpg
    imgp1136b.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 66
  • imgp1138f.jpg
    imgp1138f.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 84
  • imgp1140d.jpg
    imgp1140d.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 60
  • imgp1137m.jpg
    imgp1137m.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 68
Last edited by a moderator:

Patentagosse

Few comments:

- Job looks great on pictures. This VN780 has pretty flat panels, no door hinges, no fu****g rivets but all tank covers (skirts) must have been a PITA to wrap.

- I just don't understand why the hood was left brown... Have you wrapped the roof entirely? The front seems to be done but what 'bout the roof passed the sunroof?

- Did you cover the back of the sleeper cab? 'Bet not 'cause it's pretty bumpy over there... lot of embossing to give strenght to the cab.

- Why the hell the guy is getting a new rig before signing a contract with a company??? That should be the first thing to do in order to avoid that kinda situation... About 40% of all Volvo are rolling out of Virginia assembly plant painted white so he really missed this one. Or you may have suggested him to sign-up with Bison Transport, they have met. brown tractors I think or at least brown is part of their logo... lollllllll

I feel your pain 'cause I'm doing big rigs every week so I know how complicated it is when you start on one of these and it always looks easier on paper. I've done many Kenworth where you hit approx. 125 rivets per side so my dream trucks are definitely the Volvo (and few series in other brands...)

WB

Few comments:

- Job looks great on pictures. This VN780 has pretty flat panels, no door hinges, no fu****g rivets but all tank covers (skirts) must have been a PITA to wrap.

The tank covers were his main concern, There's a 3/16" moulded body line that's about 1/4" deep it runs along the length of the truck and does some nice curves at the ends. It's just small enough to be a PITA , deep enough that you can't stretch the vinyl.

- I just don't understand why the hood was left brown... Have you wrapped the roof entirely? The front seems to be done but what 'bout the roof passed the sunroof?

He only wanted what could be seen from the sides white. Probably to save $$ I said he had to send them a picture of the side of the truck and as long as it looked white he was good.

- Did you cover the back of the sleeper cab? 'Bet not 'cause it's pretty bumpy over there... lot of embossing to give strenght to the cab.

We did not do the back. that would have been a nightmare.

- Why the hell the guy is getting a new rig before signing a contract with a company??? That should be the first thing to do in order to avoid that kinda situation... About 40% of all Volvo are rolling out of Virginia assembly plant painted white so he really missed this one. Or you may have suggested him to sign-up with Bison Transport, they have met. brown tractors I think or at least brown is part of their logo... lollllllll

I think he had the truck before the contract came up.. or at least the fact that the truck had to be white.

I feel your pain 'cause I'm doing big rigs every week so I know how complicated it is when you start on one of these and it always looks easier on paper. I've done many Kenworth where you hit approx. 125 rivets per side so my dream trucks are definitely the Volvo (and few series in other brands...)

Bill