• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrap Which material might be suitable?

WDP

Expedition wrap. Which material might be suitable?
Standard 3951 or you think we can get away with 3551? Any suggestions, Arlon, etc. Asking my peers opinions on this. Will pay more just curious what you guys/girls think.

Circleville Signs

I say this about once/week it seems like...

3551 is not meant for compound curves. If you are wrapping anything other than a panel van, box truck, or semi-trailer, 3551 is NOT the right material to use. Can you "get away" with it? Maybe - if your installers REALLY know what they are doing. But a month later it's gonna look like crap around all the curves.

Letterbox Mike

We usually use 3m control tac. I thought it might be over kill.

It's not overkill. Just because the majority of the truck is flat doesn't mean there aren't compound curves around the doors, windows, fenders, etc.. That's where the calendered 3551 will fail. Use cast.

WDP

because the majority of the truck is flat

Thats why I asked just in case any other Brother or Sister would have a difference of opinion. Thanks all for commenting.

JBarraxSW

Although ORACAL markets 3551RA for wraps, it's done with a caveat. Since it's an intermediate calendered film, it won't conform over compound curves. They recommend it for wrapping slab-sided vehicles like Scion XBs and Hummers.
For vehicles with more curvaceous contours--think VW New Beetle, PT Cruiser--they recommend 3951 or 3951 RA.

luggnut

3551 is just a little less expensive... so for one wrap the savings aren't real huge, if you had a fleet of box trucks the savings would add up though.

i only do one wrap at a time so it doesn't work for me to stock anything but 3m 180 or avery ezrs (i like it.. right now i'm using 3m)

EmpireGFX.com

I have actually used 3551 on a few SUV's and big International Cabs and it actually worked fairly well... I haven't heard any complaints from the customers but it did take a little more effort to fit to the curves than the 3951 would have.

Here's a pic of a truck we used it on for reference...

Attachments

• waterworks.jpg
    waterworks.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 83

ProWraps

ij180c (the original) for EVERYTHING we do. flat, curved, you name it. to even put 3551 over flat riveted surfaces sends chills down my spine.

TheSellOut

I have actually used 3551 on a few SUV's and big International Cabs and it actually worked fairly well... I haven't heard any complaints from the customers but it did take a little more effort to fit to the curves than the 3951 would have.

Here's a pic of a truck we used it on for reference...

No disrespect to you intended, the wrap and design are beautiful...but this is classic...Much like how Mickey D's makes burgers look sooo much better in their advertisements than they do in your hands...the water in your wrap looks wonderfully delicious...where as, the water in the tanks look, pardon my english like shite.

JBarraxSW

No disrespect to you intended, the wrap and design are beautiful...but this is classic...Much like how Mickey D's makes burgers look sooo much better in their advertisements than they do in your hands...the water in your wrap looks wonderfully delicious...where as, the water in the tanks look, pardon my english like shite.
LOL. I was thinking something similar. That's a great wrap. Too bad the tanks on the back look so dirty.
Excellent job on the design and installation! :cool1: