• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrap without template

daenterpri

In doing a full or partial wrap on my 2002 Dodge 2500, do I need some sort of template? Or do I just print a ton of vinyl and cut everything out by hand?

Mike V.

In doing a full or partial wrap on my 2002 Dodge 2500, do I need some sort of template? Or do I just print a ton of vinyl and cut everything out by hand?

I would think some sort of template would make life easier, otherwise you are looking at a lot of waste and possibilty of poor layout on the truck.

daenterpri

If you don't know how to do a wrap, i'd suggest not doing one.

If you told everyone that before their first wrap, nobody would be doing wraps ;)

It's my own pickup, and I gotta learn somehow.

Thanks guys, I'll try to find a template somewhere, or maybe a tutorial on making my own. If you guys have links to resources like that, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

elsignshop

theres a website you can buy templates for vehicles. i just cant remember what its called. but they sell them individually so you dont have to buy the whole CD. wrapping your own truck is a good way to learn.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Templates are about fifty bucks a pop. mr-clipart.com

But take measurements... take digital pictures.. and you don't need the templates.

As a matter of fact on the 2010 prius we just wrapped - I DID use a template...

and all my stuff was off by almost 4 inches...

good thing for me we did measurements too.

Mason

Templates are about fifty bucks a pop. mr-clipart.com

But take measurements... take digital pictures.. and you don't need the templates.

As a matter of fact on the 2010 prius we just wrapped - I DID use a template...

and all my stuff was off by almost 4 inches...

good thing for me we did measurements too.

Once designed, scale the artwork 166.666%, in the rip scale again at 1200%. works every time... ;)

formanek

If you told everyone that before their first wrap, nobody would be doing wraps ;)

Thanks guys, I'll try to find a template somewhere, or maybe a tutorial on making my own. If you guys have links to resources like that, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Some people get pissy about questions because they are "experts." Your best bet is to take digital photos and measure on your own. templates don't account for rounded surfaces, etc... They are just helpful for initial design. Good luck!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Tons of info on-line for that vehicle if you don't have a camera.
Find the one you want.
Double check some of the measurements to verify the drawing and then go to town.

wayne k
guam usa

Attachments

• ram2520specs1.jpg
    ram2520specs1.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 83

MikePro

i've done wraps without templates all the time! was never keen on completely trusting my templates anyways, as they're usually off.

Panerai

Well said. Its the ppl who say stuff like "If you dont know how to do one, then you shouldnt do one"

jc1cell

There's a great tutorial by Fred in the premium section that can guide you in the right direction. Rather than paying for the template you can pay for the premium subscription and get the info from there.

jc

daenterpri

Wow, are you going to print it on your Edge?

Sure! :) The guy I bought it from did a full body wrap on a van when he was first starting.

It'll be my first big install, and then 5 years from now when I have a large printer, I can tell people that my first wrap was done 11.8" at a time ;)

Mosh

I have never bought one template EVER!!! Take a pic of the vehicle and do measurements and you will not have any problems. I do hope you are joking about doing it with an edge!!!!