• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping? A Metal Box 4x8

kelly r

I have a 4’x8’ welded metal box with two sides that are 4’x3’w, the front with 2 doors and the top. They want it in vinyl to match their white 5th wheel trailer. I don’t do wraps but I think this should be basic, I hope! If I go with a cast wrap it will be the white it comes. I thought I could use 48” cast wrap without laminating? I can’t laminate that size anyways. There are two doors on the front but I may have to wrap them separately as they are probably 1.5-2” deep so the edges need to be covered too. I would not have taken this on but I do everything else for this customer so it’s hard to say no. Wrapping material the way to go? Which one? Then I have to continue the metallic swirls on it.
TIA

Attachments

• IMG_5391.jpeg
    IMG_5391.jpeg
    644 KB · Views: 94

kelly r

I have a 4’x8’ welded metal box with two sides that are 4’x3’w, the front with 2 doors and the top. They want it in vinyl to match their white 5th wheel trailer. I don’t do wraps but I think this should be basic, I hope! If I go with a cast wrap it will be the white it comes. I thought I could use 48” cast wrap without laminating? I can’t laminate that size anyways. There are two doors on the front but I may have to wrap them separately as they are probably 1.5-2” deep so the edges need to be covered too. I would not have taken this on but I do everything else for this customer so it’s hard to say no. Wrapping material the way to go? Which one? Then I have to continue the metallic swirls on it.
TIA
They will take off the doors and hinges so it will be a flat surface.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Yup, follow Unclebun's advice. That's what the wrap films are for, and they don't need laminating.
Color wrap films come in 60" wide rolls, many vendors will sell by the yard so you don't have to buy a full roll.

mkmie

Lost Soul
"Matching" white can be problematic if they are super picky. Vinyl rarely, if ever, matches paint exactly. Just set reasonable expectations with the customer and you should be OK.

mkmie

Lost Soul
Avery Supreme Wrap is good but if you really need to watch the pennies Cheetah Wrap is about $8.50 a foot. I hate giving that guy any of my money though. :mad:

Never mind. Avery is $25 a yard. Stick with that.

Last edited:

kelly r

Thank you for the info! I was going to use 48” and start from the side and go around to other side. I don’t have to do the back or bottom. Then cut out doors and do them again separate unless enough film wraps the edges of the doors. Then do top separate? It’s just me so 60” would be hard to handle and wrapping isn’t easy for me!

kelly r

Thank you for the info! I was going to use 48” and start from the side and go around to other side. I don’t have to do the back or bottom. Then cut out doors and do them again separate unless enough film wraps the edges of the doors. Then do top separate? It’s just me so 60” would be hard to handle and wrapping isn’t easy for me!
Is this an easy beginner wrap job? I see it only comes in 60” and supreme may be the only available one at the moment.

Last edited:

unclebun

I'm not sure what you were going to use that is 48". Wrapping films for printing generally come 54" wide. The non-printable wrapping films come 60" wide. Since your box is 48" you'll find it much easier to have the 60" material. Pull back just a few inches or a foot of the backing paper, stick the vinyl at the edge of the box, then pull the paper all the way off. Grab the vinyl by the corners, stretch it across the box, and lay it down. After squeegeeing the air out and getting it squeegeed down, trim away the excess.

The non-printable wrapping films are thicker, and this gives it the stiffness you need to be able to handle it.

John Miller

The wrapping idea in my opinion is the wrong direction. Contact the trailer manufacturer and get the paint color number. Go to an auto paint supplier and acquire the paint. Prep the box and spray it the right color. Not only will the paint outlast the wrap about 10-1, the match will be exact.