• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping a shipping container?

jon vital

Anyone ever done this? Got a customer who needs one done but they look very tricky to do with the deep corrugations.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I've never wrapped anything but I've seen many suggest on S101 on similar structures is to mount a flat piece of aluminium or other appropriate substrate and apply it all flat.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I don't think a shipping container would be permitted to have flat substrate applied to the sides, I think they're regulated containers.

I would take the depth of the corrugations and add them into the lettering widths; making the letters extremely elongated & hopefully it would be legible. Sounds like a PITA project.

Stuckup

Like they say, elongate it, and the Paint is crap to stick most vinyls on, Dirt and Salt hardly sticks to it. Ways around it but it can be painful. Definitely speak to a supplier/manufacturer for their suggested vinyl. Otherwise do what the Lazy people do, print a banner and sail track it, wont fail then, and spray clear coat on it or liquid laminate if longevity is required. Definitely use rust free fasteners. If you use vinyl wrap, Id suggest laying it in not heating and forming it in, from what I have been told, the paint is meant to withstand Salt and adhesives, due to the long Sea journeys. When I did a few containers, we ended up using cheaper vinyls with aggressive glue, and added plenty of heat. I know I will get abused for this, but, when we rubbed Thinners on the area to be installed, the vinyl actually stuck well. Was over 10 yrs ago, so media and paint will have changed, but thats my 5 cents worth.