• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

x-rite

rfulford

Even better PMS 300 to look like PMS 300 on the monitor and then print like PMS 300.

Do you use colorburst with your vuteks or have you moved to something else? ColorBurst has a nice spot color replacement feature. When it sees the spot color defined in your file, it will replace it with the correct mix for printer and media based on your profile. This works well as long as you don't mix spot colors with transparency. You have probably seen this warning in illustrator before.

I use a different method and define all my spots as Adobe RGB. Adobe RGB is broad enough to match practically all of the Pantone spot colors. This works well enough 98% of the time. There are occasions where you will have to do something special. The Color Picker application that comes with profile maker is the perfect tool for playing around with your custom color matches.

Hmm...I went to a (mini) color management seminar and whole thing revolved around an Xrite i1. We were told that this basic tool (around $900) would allow us to calibrate monitors, match customer supplied colors, calibrate media, and create profiles for all our media. Is this not true? I would appreciate any input on this topic because we're seriously considering buying one. We've only had our XC-540 for 4-5 months now and I'm already sick of printing color charts and samples!:banghead::doh:
Thanks,
Pat

Pat:
Here is a link to the i1 Basic page on X-Rite's web site:

http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=1238

A better solution for end-to-end color management would be the i1 XTreme - here is the link:

http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=1240

Cost for i1 XTreme is roughly $1,500

Antonyu

Probably too late but I use an i1 pro from xrite.
Software wise I like Profile Maker.

With this I've profiled several substrates with sucess, RA4 photografic paper, aluminiun, vinyl, wood, acrylic (very tricky), etc

After, althou slow process, reading the charts I always had to print test images and edit the profile (little adjustments) so that all our equipment print the "same colors".