• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

xc-540 cutter not cutting corners well in small type

Salmoneye

Hi guys,
I have cut very little vinyl with my xc-540. 651 seems to cut and weed well, 3651 is a pain in the a$$ to weed, but the problem that I am having right now is with transfer material.

I am using 'Sojar' material from fellers and weeding some fairly small type. It seems as if the blade is missing some areas in the corners making it very hard to weed. I don't know a thing about blade offsets and the like so I might just have some settings wrong on the printer. The pressure seems to be set just right and the strip that runs under the blade is in good shape.

Educate me. (please)
Sam

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Hi guys,
I have cut very little vinyl with my xc-540. 651 seems to cut and weed well, 3651 is a pain in the a$$ to weed, but the problem that I am having right now is with transfer material.

I am using 'Sojar' material from fellers and weeding some fairly small type. It seems as if the blade is missing some areas in the corners making it very hard to weed. I don't know a thing about blade offsets and the like so I might just have some settings wrong on the printer. The pressure seems to be set just right and the strip that runs under the blade is in good shape.

Educate me. (please)
Sam

Classic symptoms of a dirty up/down blade actuator. Remove any dust covers and briskly blow the dust and crud out the mechanism. Replace any dust covers.

Pay little attention to anyone suggesting you diddle your offset setting. Incomplete cutting is usually not a symptom of an improper offset.

Salmoneye

Thanks for responding guys. Settings are Speed:15cd second (slow), Offset: .25mm, Up speed 30cm sec. I don't even know what offset and up speed mean.

signage

The up speed is the speed the blade holder is raised.

The offset is the distance on the angle of the cut. The offset changes as the blade angle change (30,46 or 60 deg. blades)!

Sticky Signs

It's probably the blade. Get a new one. while you're at it, clean the blade holder and spray some silicone lubricant in it. Also check the cutting strip. It may need to be replaced. If that doesn't work, try a 60 degree blade and change the offset to 0.375.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Thanks guys. Why would a person ever change the setting of the up speed?

If you're moving a big chunk of media and you want to mitigate any inertia/standing waves/flapping about/whathaveyou it might be a Good Idea.

Sticky Signs

Up speed determines how fast the blade travels from left to right when it is not cutting. The higher the number, the faster it moves. When it comes to print/cut, I find my roland gives less then great results. I work around this by adding plenty of bleed to anything being cut (10 point or more) , I slow everything down to about 20, and I use all the pinch rollers to help keep things accurate.