• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Xc 540/magnets?

jigsaw

Hi all, Anybody have a XC540 and cutting magnets, can you give me your experiences? I have been told its ok but am a bit worried about head strike and cutting technique:thankyou:

Andrew O

Merchant Member
It is also pretty hard on the transport system, particularly if you are using heavier weight magnet sheet. The weight, thickness, smoothness, and hardness of the back of the sheet can conspire to actually grind down the friction surface of the grit rollers. I know the system can pull pretty heavy rolls of banner or vinyl, but the physics is a little different since those materials are pulled off the roll, whereas with a magnet you are moving the whole weight of the sheet around, and when cutting it you are repeatedly moving it back and forth.

Once in a blue moon it is probably okay, but if you are building a business around magnetic signs and need to cut them daily, or even weekly, we don't recommend it.

DRamm76

Magnet is not a very porous substrate. The ink doesnt adhere as well as it normally would to vinyl. I usually recommend to my customers to just print on the vinyl and mount it to the magnet. It will always look much better than printing to magnet directly.

Unless you are using the UV printer, then you can pretty much print on magnet or vinyl