• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

XC-540 Scan motor error.

Salmoneye

I have had two occasions now where the carriage has started to move and hit one of my media clamps. I don't know why, maybe I didn't have them on straight. Once this happens my sheet cut feature will not work. It hasn't damaged the cutter but I need to replace the blade and readjust the height of the mechanism. Can anyone tell me how to do the adjustment? Also I am now getting an intermittent "scan motor error".

kev3232

"sheet cut will not work"... elaborate please. maybe sheet cut blade has the tip chipped off. ??? mine has done that a couple times

my XC brain farted a few weeks ago and gave a ton of scan motor errors. tech fixed it in about 5 minutes.

k

Salmoneye

I think the blade assembly got knocked out of adjustment. I will put in a new blade but want to know how to adjust the assembly. Great, fixed it in 5 minutes, what did he do?

kev3232

not sure what he did, i was out when he stopped by.
call richard at pacific coast paint in portland oregon and he might be able to walk you through it to fix the issue.

k

Salmoneye

Thank you for the info. I do know how to replace the blade, what I don't know is how to adjust that whole assembly when it gets knocked out of adjustment.

Chad

Cutter Problem

I had the same problem when the head hit the media clamps. Just unscrew the cutter blade assembly and reset it. Probably the arm isn't getting pushed far enough in when the carriage moves to the far left.
Another thing you will need to check is that it can sense the length of the media. In hitting the media clamps it also broke my sensor on the back of the cut head.

Good luck.

InkjetAuction

Procedure...

It's called LIMIT INITIALIZE. Basically when the machine "loses" itself, it has to be retold where to start printing, and how wide the printer is (where the cutter down position is).

This is the BASIC procedure for print/cut machines. Refer to the manual or service tech for your specific machine for any specific procedures.

1. Turn MAIN POWER OFF
  2. Remove the sheet/media
  3. Remove the side cover to get access to the head carriage
  4. Make sure that the cut carriage and print carriage are connected.
  5. Turn MAIN POWER ON
  6. Press and HOLD the buttons in this order:

LEFT ARROW + UP ARROW + RIGHT ARROW
    ...then while holding all three buttons down press the POWER BUTTON.
  7. You should see the INITIALIZE LIMIT MENU
  8. Depending on the model, the caps will lower and the menu will prompt you to Set Capping Position. Move the head carriage (while still connected to the cut carriage) to the head locked position.

This position is critical to the success of the operation.
    Move the head to the right until you hear the light click where the lock engages. You know that you are locked when you can no longer move the head to the left. Moving the head past this point (to the right will unlock it.) This can be a little tricky to find the first time.
  9. When you are locked, press enter
  10. The machine will display SETTING UP THE LIMIT and unlock the cutting carriage from the print carriage.
  11. Then the machine will display SET CUTTER DOWN POSITION. Physically move the cutting carriage all the way over to the left until it contacts the left wall, and the sheet cut knife is locked down. LEAVE THE CUT CARRIAGE THERE.
  12. Press Enter and the cut carriage will return to the print carriage.
  13. In a few seconds Hopefully you will see INITIALIZE COMPLETE. If not, try again. Turn off the machine and turn it back on. You should be good to go.
This simple procedure solves many weird motor errors and other anomalies. A good head strike can sometime put the machine into a weird place, and this usually solves the problem.

Hope this helps...

~E

Rodge Roo

Procedure...

It's called LIMIT INITIALIZE. Basically when the machine "loses" itself, it has to be retold where to start printing, and how wide the printer is (where the cutter down position is).

This is the BASIC procedure for print/cut machines. Refer to the manual or service tech for your specific machine for any specific procedures.

1. Turn MAIN POWER OFF
  2. Remove the sheet/media
  3. Remove the side cover to get access to the head carriage
  4. Make sure that the cut carriage and print carriage are connected.
  5. Turn MAIN POWER ON
  6. Press and HOLD the buttons in this order:

LEFT ARROW + UP ARROW + RIGHT ARROW
    ...then while holding all three buttons down press the POWER BUTTON.
  7. You should see the INITIALIZE LIMIT MENU
  8. Depending on the model, the caps will lower and the menu will prompt you to Set Capping Position. Move the head carriage (while still connected to the cut carriage) to the head locked position.

This position is critical to the success of the operation.
    Move the head to the right until you hear the light click where the lock engages. You know that you are locked when you can no longer move the head to the left. Moving the head past this point (to the right will unlock it.) This can be a little tricky to find the first time.
  9. When you are locked, press enter
  10. The machine will display SETTING UP THE LIMIT and unlock the cutting carriage from the print carriage.
  11. Then the machine will display SET CUTTER DOWN POSITION. Physically move the cutting carriage all the way over to the left until it contacts the left wall, and the sheet cut knife is locked down. LEAVE THE CUT CARRIAGE THERE.
  12. Press Enter and the cut carriage will return to the print carriage.
  13. In a few seconds Hopefully you will see INITIALIZE COMPLETE. If not, try again. Turn off the machine and turn it back on. You should be good to go.
This simple procedure solves many weird motor errors and other anomalies. A good head strike can sometime put the machine into a weird place, and this usually solves the problem.

Hope this helps...

~E
Hello E, thanks so much for the detailed procedures to this error. I have a RS640 and the steps worked fine and the printer finished the intialisation however as soon as I load up and go to do test print the printer kicks the same scan motor error. like the head unit will not move. It does though on turning the machine on, moves all the way to the left side then goes back to home and docks on caps. Any idea if this would be time to replace the motor or is there another step to this or workaround? thanks in advance for all you help :)

damonCA21

Hello E, thanks so much for the detailed procedures to this error. I have a RS640 and the steps worked fine and the printer finished the intialisation however as soon as I load up and go to do test print the printer kicks the same scan motor error. like the head unit will not move. It does though on turning the machine on, moves all the way to the left side then goes back to home and docks on caps. Any idea if this would be time to replace the motor or is there another step to this or workaround? thanks in advance for all you help :)
If it is still doing it then it is time to replace the scan motor. They do fail or get weak with age, and best solution is to replace. Try and get an original motor, not one of the generic chinese ones that don't work as well. You can normally find OEM motors on Ebay