• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Y axis fault

Chris Viney

Hi all, my HP latex cutter 64" has developed a y axis fault.
It started giving occasional errors on start-up but now faults all of the time.
I've stripped the unit to check for jams etc but all looks good.
One thing I have noticed is when the cutter carrier moves across to set the origin it hits the frame as intended but doesn't fault until it reverses direction, it comes away 5-10mm
Any suggestions would be great
Thanks
Chris

Chris Viney

Hi all, my HP latex cutter 64" has developed a y axis fault.
It started giving occasional errors on start-up but now faults all of the time.
I've stripped the unit to check for jams etc but all looks good.
One thing I have noticed is when the cutter carrier moves across to set the origin it hits the frame as intended but doesn't fault until it reverses direction, it comes away 5-10mmi
Any suggestions would be great
Thanks
Chris
Ok, I didn't get a price from my supplier yet for a replacement motor and needed to move along with diagnosing the problem.
Before it started to fault every time I powered up I noticed (with the belts off) it was making a dry rubbing noise while spinning. I decided to investigate, I removed the motor and stripped completely, one of the brushes was sat at a funny angle and catching a bit on the housing. After a rinse in isopropyl alcohol I reassembled and tested on the bench, there was initially a fault every power up but after adjusting the encoder to the correct place everything is working as it should.

I hope this will help someone else