• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

You couldn't pay me enough!

SignosaurusRex

Anymore..... I don't even like getting on an extension ladder, but if any of the old gang I used to work with ever call.......I'M THERE IN A HEARTBEAT! No matter where or how high...they were all a pleasure to work with. Old-time Pros they are. Some of them in their 70's now and still swinging stages like 20 year olds. God love 'em!

heyskull

I don't worry about heights anymore as I found out it was the ground that would kill you not the height!!!! LOL

SC

Craig Sjoquist

yikes indeed ... wow .. highest ever worked was 60 feet up for a vertical sign the other was ... set up my scaffold on 2nd floor balcony and install 14 plastic faces in a old .. bowling sign that was vertical also ... you sure grip on to everything lol

GypsyGraphics

Had a friend that used to change out billboards along the interstate, some as high as 60'. Dude was an alcoholic and changed out most of them drunk. Drunk to the point where more than once he "passed out/took a nap" on the walkboards.

Finally got treatment for his drinking problem, was sober for three months, fell off a billboard while unhooking his safety line. Fell thirty feet to the ground, spent the next nine months in recovery.

Pat, just curious, did the guy go back to the same job after he recovered? Did he for his own safety start drinking again?

mark in tx

I used to jump out of airplanes, sit in the open doors of helicopters with my feet hanging, fastrope from helicopters, climb watertowers for fun, rappel from bridges, etc...

1 bad hour in a bucket lift and I'm scared to death of heights now.
I don't even like a 20 foot ladder anymore.

Hang a sign on a skyscraper? Not a chance.
I can't even look out the observation decks anymore.

Jillbeans

Nope! Not me.
My friend Bill would be all over that, though, he likes a challenge.
He was lettering the side of a building at a steel mill in Pittsburgh about 2 years ago, a tall building about 250' up, 5' high painted letters using some sort of staging that went through a hole in the roof anchored to something in the building.
It somehow slipped and the stage dropped smoothly but rapidly about 50'.
He didn't spill any paint but I think he may had to have changed his drawers later.
Love....Jill

gators2001

Its not the height that gets you as much as the possibility of an impact.
45' or 450'.....its all the same. I'd do it but I damn sure want my bladder empty first.

Thats what I tell my guys when the first start. Always ask are you scared of heights anwser is always no. But funny how 100' will lock them knees up.

Rodi

I would do it, as long as I could drop a melon from there... always wanted to do that.

I hear ya, I love those kinda sounds ( I once dropped a 50lb bag of unpopped popcorn, onto the highway from a bridge) 50ft x 50 lbs= a beautiful sound!

Tim Aucoin

I hear ya, I love those kinda sounds ( I once dropped a 50lb bag of unpopped popcorn, onto the highway from a bridge) 50ft x 50 lbs= a beautiful sound!

Wouldn't that create a hazard...?? Tell me you were a kid and didn't know better?!! :doh::rolleyes:

Lunatic Taskbar

I think my worse experience of heights was I was painting (just normal painting not sign painting) 5 stories up. I was in a "cherry picker" (UK terminology) a Bucket truck I guess. Now this truck only had 2 stabilizers pretty much in the centre. and the building was on a hill. Anyway I was up and was scared really scared. I was painting with one hand and holding on to the guttering with finger and thumb (as if that would save me!) and then as I was leaning over to get get the last bit... the truck tipped. this was on the two central stabilizers and it was about a 6 inch sudden movement. It felt like the end of the world. Needless to say I came down immediately and after going to the washroom and changing pants I paid a company to go and paint the last few inches.

Moral of this story don't play with toys you don't know how to operate.

Ian