• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Zoning Ordinance a little strict?

BobM

Ah, government at it's finest. I'll bet the National Association Of Worm Sellers will be on this one in a hurry.

Tony Teveris

Cromwell, Connecticut - right down the street.

Pat you picked up on the same thing I saw - those Diaz boys.

I'll have to make up some bumber stickers - "Diaz - what an a-hole"

nodrenim

Welcome to the USSA! Whatever happened to Free Enterprise and the American Way? Must be gone to find a Dinasour. Peace my brothers.

signage

Pat must be that the Diaz boys did make the sign for said business so they get it closed down! hehehehehe

Marlene

here's the problem, if you allow a 13 year old to have a sign, cardboard or not, for his business, even if it does only make $5 a month, then what do you do with the other people who make a sign and hang it? you can't pick and choose who can and who can't. it's either all can or all can't. I think it's stupid to make him take it down but I do get why. the thing to do is to get on the people who make the zoning laws and get them changed. these zoning guys are getting in the way of business every where. we have some of the strangest, makes no sense zoning laws around here. these guys have changed their name from zoning to design review which allows them a new level of PITA. now, if some one on the design review doesn't like the color of your sign, it won't get passed. Had a customer told he couldn't have his light purple and white sign which are his company colors because the town didn't like them. so on one hand I do get why these pinheads made the kid take down the sign but on the other understand just how stupid the whole thing is.

signmeup

What a bunch of losers. Leave the kid alone. The same bunch will complain about teens hanging around street corners with nothing to do. Al Diaz must have a Phd in shooting himself in the foot.

k.a.s.

Zoning, in all cases, for any reason is unconstitutional!!! The founding fathers would have punched the zoning board in the mouth.

Kevin

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I agree with Marlene. If you have rules and laws on the books.... why not enforce them when someone is breaking them ??

I also agree… that there probably could've been a better way to handle it, but.... what's good for the goose is good for the gander. We all have to live by the same laws. Perhaps someone with the knowledge to be bitching about the harsh laws... should've told their stepson what he's doing is illegal and instructed him on how to play by the rules instead of just being pushy and bitching about something after you got caught. His idea of giving the kid some knowledge on…. "It was just to teach him the values of working and getting paid for it." are a little shy of business ethics in his town since he, being the adult, didn’t give his stepson proper information for starting up his ‘Worm Business’. :doh:

.​

Doyle

If it were my son, we would have then went through the process of setting up his business and put up the largest sign allowed.

mark in tx

Small town politics at their finest. Everywhere has examples.
My city at a current council meeting.
Animal control officer wants some regulation on people feeding colonies of feral cats.
Mayor says," I didn't see any cats, must not be a problem."
Animal control officer invites mayor out on patrol to see the cats.
Mayor, "I have more important things to do."

omgsideburns

sounds like the kid is about to double his monthly business because of the little news story.

smart marketing, call the paper anytime something stupid happens.

Pat Whatley

Article is from 2006, wonder what became of it all.

Kid grew up, got a girlfriend, realized that "kid with worm farm" ranked just below "zit faced Star Trek geek" on the social scale and gave up the business.

The city councilman changed his name to Old Paint and moved to Pensacola.