• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3D surface scanning and textural/dimensional relief inkjet printing

DarkerKat

design & such
Yes absolutely, It's a harder task to justify the increased expense due to the time + ink vs a single pass inkjet print.
I'd like to see a RIP or printer manufacture come up with a structural pattern (Like a 3D printer's infill) specifically for building up UV ink fast and efficiently. A lattice like build layer to quickly get the height... and then top fill layer + color

This would reduce printing time and save ink.
hmm not sure how that would work, a lattice structure works on a 3D printer because that material is rigid almost as soon as it is printed. So upper layers can "float" given a few support points. Most printers that can do 2.5D are using liquid ink. This means layers wont float, they would just coat the previous lattice work. In my last reply there were some stained-glass looking ornaments, they're printed with texture pattern in clear, that was then overlaid by a full layer of clear - you can see that the top layer will just coat the lower layers because there is no way for it to cure in mid air.

dreko

hmm not sure how that would work, a lattice structure works on a 3D printer because that material is rigid almost as soon as it is printed. So upper layers can "float" given a few support points. Most printers that can do 2.5D are using liquid ink. This means layers wont float, they would just coat the previous lattice work. In my last reply there were some stained-glass looking ornaments, they're printed with texture pattern in clear, that was then overlaid by a full layer of clear - you can see that the top layer will just coat the lower layers because there is no way for it to cure in mid air.
UV gel (thick viscosity)