• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M 1080 Metallic

datoshway

So I had the privilege of using a roll of 3M 1080 Metallic today for an install. I was not impressed at all with it. Any load and it was just ripping, not like the 180 that will stretch a good amount, this crap just would explode under the slightest pull, also I found the adhesive to be much much to aggressive.

Is anyone laminating this stuff to keep it together? If so what kind so you don't loose the metallic visual?

Severely disappointed.

datoshway

Definitely legit, it was drop shipped from 3m. It reacted almost as a calendared vinyl or a cast in cold temps might. But it was not cold at all.

rjssigns

Somewhere in one of the forums a shop posted pics of a Range Rover wrapped with the brushed metal 1080. I believe he said it was super critical to have a stable shop temp. Like 72 degrees or thereabouts.
I was intrigued enough to send a PM about doing a Harley tank. He said it will never work.

AdamLarson

Datoshway- I apologize for the issues you experienced when using 1080. We haven't heard much about the product ripping upon install like you described.

Would you be open to one of our tech service personnel reaching out to you? Do you have any manufacturing info (i.e. lot number, date of manufacturer, etc.)?

If you'd like, call or email me and we can discuss further. I apologize again that you experienced these issues with our product.

BTW- I liked the "I had the privilege of using..." comment. Ha!

Regards,

Adam Larson
3M Commercial Graphics- Marketing
ajlarson@mmm.com, 651.733.9259

datoshway

Hey Adam, thanks for getting back to me. It's truly nice to see 3m Reps making sure customers are happy. I said that comment about having the privilege of working with it, because all we use in our shop is 3M and i'v always been a huge fan of the product since we switched from oracle this year. I'll never forget the first time I wrapped a car with the 180. Life altering. We ordered this roll from Grimco and was drop shipped straight from 3M. I was told it was "their last roll" While the material looks awesome it was just horrible to deal with. Our shop temp was confirmed 70 degrees and it honestly reacted as vinyl might in very very cold temperatures. I'm not sure if it was because we are more used to the 180 laminated but this was just unreasonable to work with.

Here are the numbers from the tube.

Run: M12070
Drum: 001
Report: N050350
Date: 4-11-12

datoshway

Just a follow up on this. I have been in touch with 3m. Turns out Grimco ordered the wrong roll and we were actually given controltac metallic and not the 1080. So that would be the reason why the vinyl behaved the way it did with no lam. What a bummer. Thanks to the good people at 3m. We got to the bottom of this.

Thanks for all who chimed in.

BALLPARK

Getting ready to start a job with the 1080 Matte Black. I hope it goes better than what you are describing. I have not used this series from 3M and have some concerns.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I would hope so considering he was not using 3M 1080. The 1080 we tried worked vey nice. :)

Getting ready to start a job with the 1080 Matte Black. I hope it goes better than what you are describing. I have not used this series from 3M and have some concerns.

Haakon

Wrapped my own car in 1080 matte green, very nice to work with. Just too bad that they have priced it 90% higher than Oracal 970RA over here in Norway. Other than that, no concerns about using 1080 :) I also did my roof in 1080 brushed steel, just as nice to apply as the matte 1080.

BALLPARK

I would hope so considering he was not using 3M 1080. The 1080 we tried worked vey nice. :)

Did not know what you meant at first...lol. I then saw where they shipped him the wrong roll a few post down. Ouch...

Nice to see that 3M helped get to the bottom of the issue.

Good to see that your 1080 worked out very well. I love wraps... just never used the 1080. I really like the IJ180cv3-10 and hope this is another great product from them.

datoshway

What kind of freebies are they sendinya?

None. After I explained to Adam that grimcos Rep ordered the wrong stuff, never heard back. Shame on Grimco, shame on 3m for not making sure their sales reps are educated. If I could buy direct from 3m I would, but for now i'v taken my business to NEPCO and Arlon all the way. Given the amount of money I spend with both Grimco and 3m. I'm not settling for poor customer service.

Last edited:

AdamLarson

My apologies...

Just a follow up on this. I have been in touch with 3m. Turns out Grimco ordered the wrong roll and we were actually given controltac metallic and not the 1080. So that would be the reason why the vinyl behaved the way it did with no lam. What a bummer. Thanks to the good people at 3m. We got to the bottom of this.

Thanks for all who chimed in.

My apologies for not checking back with you again, I assumed everything was settled once we figured out you had received the wrong film. When I checked in with Grimco they reiterated that they have been working with you to resolve the issue. I hope you'll consider giving 1080 another chance, as many people here have indicated, it's a great film.

I don't check this board every day, so if you ever feel like I'm not giving you the response you need soon enough please reach out to me directly.

Sincerely,

Adam Larson

datoshway

Grimcos resolution was a big sorry and gave me a new rep. That's not what I call acceptable. These are real problems, real money, and real customers. This week we ordered 6 rolls of Arlon grimco and 3m missed out on. I'm over it, unless a customer asks for 3m, I'm not stocking it anymore. I appreciate your concerns but these are not resolutions to real problems 3m or grimco has offered.

My apologies for not checking back with you again, I assumed everything was settled once we figured out you had received the wrong film. When I checked in with Grimco they reiterated that they have been working with you to resolve the issue. I hope you'll consider giving 1080 another chance, as many people here have indicated, it's a great film.

I don't check this board every day, so if you ever feel like I'm not giving you the response you need soon enougRh please reach out to me directly.

Sincerely,

Adam Larson

TwoNine

What do you want them to do about it? Fire the rep? Stop making 1080? What?

You got the wrong product. It sucks - but it happens. I think 3M did well responding quickly here too. Even though some of it may just be damage control, you at least got that attention.

Cash? Free Squeegees? Diamonds?

-Chad

datoshway

What do you want them to do about it? Fire the rep? Stop making 1080? What?

You got the wrong product. It sucks - but it happens. I think 3M did well responding quickly here too. Even though some of it may just be damage control, you at least got that attention.

Cash? Free Squeegees? Diamonds?

-Chad

Seriously? What do you think I am F'in dog? You think attention is gonna solve the problem? These rolls are big bucks, and these clients are big bucks.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I have a customer wanting to see a sample of the 1080 black metallic(BK212), anyone know the best place to get some samples on the way?
The main 3M graphics server does not have Guam as an option to ship to.
I tried ordering samples of this material before and got no reply at all.

wayne k
guam usa

Last edited:

TwoNine

Seriously? What do you think I am F'in dog? You think attention is gonna solve the problem? These rolls are big bucks, and these clients are big bucks.

Well - I don't even know what you mean by "F'in dog?" - If you're asking if I think you're having sex with dogs - then no. I do not think you have sexual intercourse with dogs. But 3M, in my opinion, isn't at fault here. Grimco placed an order with 3M to be drop shipped. 3M sent what Grimco ordered. (Unless I am misunderstanding the situation) So - then you are here bad mouthing 3M as if they were the ones who did something wrong. Plus - you go and immediately place another order with Grimco for 6 rolls of Arlon??? I would think Grimco is to blame here - not 3M, in my opinion.

Anyway - I just don't know what you really expect/want 3M to do about Grimco giving them the wrong order. Do you want a free roll of 3M 1080? 5 rolls? 100,000 dollars? What? That's all I was really asking. And then you made it weird talking about sexual favors to pets/president food. Weirdo. :)

-Chad