• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M Scotchlite Reflective / Diamond Grade questions

Bretbyron

I am working on a quote and have a couple questions about these materials. I have 80 large address signs, flat, on baked enamel. These are for a resort, so they need to last and be quality.

3M:

4090 Diamond Grade 12yr

680-10 Scotchlite 7-9yr

3290 Scotchlite 5-7yr

As far as I can tell, these are all Engineer Grade.

Question 1: Do you need the hot knife type plotter to cut the Diamond Grade?

Question 2: Are there any options that I missed that might be more appropriate/affordable w/o controltac or anything special?

Thanks in advance, Bret

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
I am working on a quote and have a couple questions about these materials. I have 80 large address signs, flat, on baked enamel. These are for a resort, so they need to last and be quality.

3M:

4090 Diamond Grade 12yr

680-10 Scotchlite 7-9yr

3290 Scotchlite 5-7yr

As far as I can tell, these are all Engineer Grade.

Question 1: Do you need the hot knife type plotter to cut the Diamond Grade?

Question 2: Are there any options that I missed that might be more appropriate/affordable w/o controltac or anything special?

Thanks in advance, Bret

First, Diamond Grade is not Engineer Grade, it is Diamond Grade. Very expensive and not sure if you can even die cut it with a plotter.
It is primarily for traffic signs.

Oracal 5700 has a 7-year life. Striving for life expectancy beyond that is pretty futile. For this purpose, that should be plenty durable.

First, Diamond Grade is not Engineer Grade, it is Diamond Grade. Very expensive and not sure if you can even die cut it with a plotter.
It is primarily for traffic signs.

Oracal 5700 has a 7-year life. Striving for life expectancy beyond that is pretty futile. For this purpose, that should be plenty durable.

You can cut diamond grade with a graphtec. Takes some time. Run it slow and a brand new 60degree blade.
But why are you cutting the diamond grade. YOu should sheet the blank and reversed cut the scothlite. No reason to cut the diamond grade. Plus diamond grade is prismatic. When you cut the letters out you get open areas on the edges of the letters. These get dirt and stuff in them and then the letters peel off. The diamond grade should be solid sheet with the electorcut over top.

AKwrapguy

We use 3290 for many of our reflective signs and don't have any issues and we have some pretty extreme conditions up here. Are you planing on printing on these? if so the ink will probably fail/fade first.

TXFB.INS

You can cut diamond grade with a graphtec. Takes some time. Run it slow and a brand new 60degree blade.
But why are you cutting the diamond grade. YOu should sheet the blank and reversed cut the scothlite. No reason to cut the diamond grade. Plus diamond grade is prismatic. When you cut the letters out you get open areas on the edges of the letters. These get dirt and stuff in them and then the letters peel off. The diamond grade should be solid sheet with the electorcut over top.

+1

Bretbyron

Thanks to all for your replies.

We use 3290 for many of our reflective signs and don't have any issues and we have some pretty extreme conditions up here. Are you planing on printing on these? if so the ink will probably fail/fade first.

We are not planning on printing these. I was just looking for the longest lasting reflective. Do you have any experience with the 680-10?

AKwrapguy

I just got done wrapping two ambulances with the 680CR-10. It's also what we use for all of our reflective decals. What would you like to know?