• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M vynil is garbage

1leonchen

nothing with application or durability. i bought a roll of 3m170ij-cv3-54 and 3m8518 laminate. at first i printed some stuff overnight and came and found a strong unbearable scent in my shop.so i wondered what and extracted the air and forgot about it. then i went to print a pannel and decided to use the material. as soon as the heaters warm up. OMG. i nearly had a lung collapse. this material stinks to no end. two different printers. same problem. went to my friend use his printer same problem. got rid of the smell and plotted some vinyl and brought it home and left it in the car. had to ozone my car.
Am i using the wrong material for my solvent printer. the 3m v3 series no problem. regular vynil no problem, banner no problem,arlon 4510 no problem. what kinda crap is 3m making. i have always used 3m for vehicle over the years. i have always loved it. i have been using 3m for over 10 years no problem. any opinion is much appreciated. thanks.

Andy D

I don't think it was that series, and I'm not even sure it was 3M... but
Years ago we had a huge job and the vinyl they decided to go with
was the same way, real strong chemical smell & gave me migraines...
We probably went through 50 rolls of that stuff for that job.. so I feel your pain.
We don't do wraps, so I can't tell you what you need to switch to, but I can tell
you that over all 3M is a quality vinyl manufacturer, it's probably just that series.

1leonchen

I don't think it was that series, and I'm not even sure it was 3M... but
Years ago we had a huge job and the vinyl they decided to go with
was the same way, real strong chemical smell & gave me migraines...
We probably went through 50 rolls of that stuff for that job.. so I feel your pain.
We don't do wraps, so I can't tell you what you need to switch to, but I can tell
you that over all 3M is a quality vinyl manufacturer, it's probably just that series.

Its just that series i am having problems with. fellers says its heater problems. grimco saying the same thing ordered two rolls from two different suppliers same problems. finished a roll yesterday. really nice material just the smell. wow. but the combo price is so nice i use it for partial wraps. and vehicle promotional wraps.