• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3rd Party Ink Chips Problem

Rooster

Has anybody ever run into a situation where you printer no longer recognized 3rd party chips? I normally use Rite Media ProColour Inks and it recognizes the chips in those no problem, but my LcLm carts just timed out and the new carts I bought (Not Rite Media) weren't recognized. So they sent me some permanent chips to try instead and they didn't work either.

So since I've used chips from that source before (dot4dot) I'm at a loss to explain why these are not working now. Although the actual chips they sent did look different from what they'd sent in the past, they claim they wrote them themselves and they checked out fine at their end. They're just not working for me.

I'm running firmware version 6.3 on a JV33-130.

Smoke_Jaguar

There's a lot of different aftermarket chips kicking around, do the chips have a DS2431 ot DS2430 stamped in the chip itself?

Rooster

There's a lot of different aftermarket chips kicking around, do the chips have a DS2431 ot DS2430 stamped in the chip itself?
The one that came on the ink cartridge was stamped 2225D02. Ther permanent chip was marked 107A 943F3 on the chip itself. It also had W16398SB etched into the board.

Smoke_Jaguar

Oh, permanent chips are a pain. They technically self-reset and all, but the date can only be so far in the future before the printer rejects them. If you can post a nice clean close-up pic of the chip, I can probably ID the programming header. However, it gets pretty technical if you want to reflash those.

Rooster

They are labelled accordingly. Let me know if you need to see the other side of them.

Attachments

• Chip-From-Ink-Cart.jpg
    Chip-From-Ink-Cart.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Permanent-Chip.jpg
    Permanent-Chip.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 75

Smoke_Jaguar

Rats, the permanent chip has had it's chip details scrubbed off. Can still see the sandpaper marks. As for the regular ink chip, it looks like a knockoff chip, but no surprise there.

Rooster

Well the problem has disappeared with new chips from another source.

If anybody is using Dot4dot to source inks for Mimaki ES3 inks, be aware that whatever they've changed, their chips don't seem to work for that ink set anymore.

Smoke_Jaguar

Most chip emulators and permanent chips are based off the older DS2430 32 byte chips. As Mimaki does firmware updates on some models, they are requiring newer DS2431 128 byte chips. Since they stopped issuing inks with the older chip types, by disabling them, they are cutting off almost entirely aftermarket chips. Expect to see this more in the future, and, might be prudent to avoid printer firmware updates if at all possible if you have a good working system in place with aftermarket permanent chips/emulators.

Rooster

Expect to see this more in the future, and, might be prudent to avoid printer firmware updates if at all possible if you have a good working system in place with aftermarket permanent chips/emulators.
I had to update my firmware to 6.3 due to a motherboard replacement a few years ago. I found a solution with another supplier that hopefully resolves this problem permanently.

Smart Ideas

I had to update my firmware to 6.3 due to a motherboard replacement a few years ago. I found a solution with another supplier that hopefully resolves this problem permanently.
Sounds good. Do you mind sharing the solution you found from that supplier?