• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

4 color process "grainy"

sgns4u

The guy that runs my gerber says that he can't get a 4 color process print to look less "grainy". Even if we start with a 300 or 600 dpi file. What are some settings I can tell him to check? I know that is probably a very vague question. I don't run the gerber (I already wear too many hats) so I can't help him.

Thank you!!
Sherry

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Tell your guy to get more familiar with halftone choices and LPI settings. Avoid those halftone types that automate LPI settings and offer no control such as GerberTone. For process fills start with Classical Dot for the halftone type and then either 53 or 70.7 for the LPI. For photos, choose GerberTone STC Photo and again, either 53 or 70.7 for the Lines Per Inch.

The LPI numbers are specifically chosen because they work well with the resolution of the Edge printhead. The lower the LPI number the better the tonal quality of the print will be but the halftone dots are larger and will be grainier than those set at 70.7 LPI. The higher the number the finer the halftone dot size but at the price of tonal quality. Each has its place and mostly depends on the anticipated viewing distance. High LPI at arm's length and lower LPI at five feet or more is a reasonable rule of thumb.