• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A few more things I've been up to lately.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I guess if Slappy was Diaz, Deaton or Dan, you'd be whistling a different tune, as to ownership of unpaid files or graphics.

I can see some of your points, maybe Slappy has been wa-a-a-ay too honest, but it's the road I'd wanna be on, especially in this case.

According to most of you here, you sound like when he showed up to talk to these people or take measurements, besides not asking about the card [Okay, I'll give ya that], but he never saw the existing window graphics..... even from a photo ??

C'mon, she's not gonna go your route and make excuses for being a sleazeball. She's on the up & up and intends to stay there. She never even called the guy out like she easily could have. She simply posted a remark and y'all wanna slam her. Da fug ?? Yeah, you're all high ended entrepreneurs, I can tell.

Slappy, it's a game with most of these people and you have a choice. See, it all depends who they are dealing with as to where they'll place the blame, responsibility..... or integrity.

You can remain on the top and keep on keepin' on with your level pr professionalism, or you can slowly sink to a level where the majority of these guys are. Remember, it's a choice and you alone are responsible for where you are by the choices you make and live by. Sometimes it's hard to stay at the top, but it's worth it..... believe me. :thumb:

Deaton Design

I know both these people, Stephanie and Ryan. I know how she feels, but knowing how Ryan conducts himself, I doubt he knew anything about the design not being paid for etc. Sounds like the customer is a sleazeball and did what alot of them do, and thats screw the signman or woman in this case. I cant count how many times someone has thought because I did their doors or cards or sign, that they then owned that design. Sometimes it hard to get that across to them, and then more than likely, it doesnt matter. They'll go ahead and do it anyway.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yes, really, Color.

They all, have had things from their website, on other people's websites. When they brought it to the attention of the members here [don't know what side of the fence you were on] they were given all kinds of advice and suggestions of how to go about getting the stuff taken down, removed and not with a rather pleasant attitude, I might add.

Regardless of who did what in a nice fashion or not...... it is now known as being almost completely duplicated with a little added effects on it, but for all intents and purposes, it is still essentially the same.

I hope Slappy and Ursta had a good PM session or phone conversation and this gets itself worked out. Nothing worse than some bad blood between friends over a misunderstanding.

Slappy should not be felt to lower her standards by the likes of people here telling her, this stuff happens.... deal with it.

She has maintained a very high level in this industry.... in her short time in the industry..... and to have something you have thought to be one way destroyed, when really it's not, is just looney.

If you're gonna steal, whether on the up & up or on the sly..... don't get caught, huh ?? Does that sound better ?? :rolleyes:

HulkSmash

Yes, really, Color.

They all, have had things from their website, on other people's websites. When they brought it to the attention of the members here [don't know what side of the fence you were on] they were given all kinds of advice and suggestions of how to go about getting the stuff taken down, removed and not with a rather pleasant attitude, I might add.

Regardless of who did what in a nice fashion or not...... it is now known as being almost completely duplicated with a little added effects on it, but for all intents and purposes, it is still essentially the same.

I hope Slappy and Ursta had a good PM session or phone conversation and this gets itself worked out. Nothing worse than some bad blood between friends over a misunderstanding.

Slappy should not be felt to lower her standards by the likes of people here telling her, this stuff happens.... deal with it.

She has maintained a very high level in this industry.... in her short time in the industry..... and to have something you have thought to be one way destroyed, when really it's not, is just looney.

If you're gonna steal, whether on the up & up or on the sly..... don't get caught, huh ?? Does that sound better ?? :rolleyes:

Gino, you're mis-understanding me. I wouldn't treat her designs different from anyone else. The fact of the matter is, a guy brings me his BC and says, i don't have a digital file can i pay you to recreate what i already have, I say sure. So no, i wouldn't know if it was hers, dans, joes, or anyone else. I would only assume, hey they have a logo it must be paid for. I'm not going to ask every single person who asks me to wrap their vehicle or make their sign, "HEY DOES THIS LOGO BELONG TO YOU?"

Seriously.

VolunteerSign

It would make no difference if you did ask "Hey does this logo belong to you?" The answer would 100% of the time be "yes". No one is going to admit they didn't pay someone else for their work.... "Nope I don't own it, I had some other guy design it for me but then I didn't pay him." Not likely.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
god that drives me nuts. you realize his name is COLORADO signs right? ugh.

Want some cheese for that ??

That is so pathetic. Did you ever see how long some of these people's handles are ?? You think I'm gonna sit here and write that much more to my already too long a essays ??

If that gripes your butt, get a load of this Pro..... I've been calling you that for quite some time.... along with almost everyone else.... except for the ladies. If you can't get past a nick name, then put your real frickin' name there and maybe I'll consider using it.

What a joke................ :ROFLMAO:

• Enough of that nonsense...........:banghead:

Color, I was more getting at the many here who just tell her to get used to it and how is she in business. To be told it's useless or doing it your way is fine by most standards, but Slappy's standards have been higher than most on this entire forum. She DOES ask her customers these questions because she doesn't want to screw the other neighboring shops in her area. She has a talent, understands it and doesn't want others to suffer the way she just has. We can go round and round on this, but this particular case seems rather open and shut by simply seeing the business card, pictures of the old window and a simple question as to.... is this your own artwork. If the customer lies, then there is nothing anyone can do, but Ursta already said he didn't even do that..... he just thought. Perhaps a lesson could be learned here.

I for one years ago, got tired of seeing my layouts and designs copied only to be told they didn't know any better. How frickin' stoopid can all these people doing it, really be ?? Well, not as dumb as me for giving it away, but, it doesn't take a very smart person to know you just didn't get his artwork out of the air. That is why we sell the artwork along with each and every job...... when this sort of thing might happen.

Charging is is the lesson I hope Slappy learns and the rest of you..... to put that one simple question in your first addressing a customer with artwork.

ProWraps

good god Gin,
you really are nutjob.

we wouldnt want you spending that EXTRA 3 letters to nickname someone correctly. it might cut into your majjilion word responses to everything.

here ill type it for you:

ADO

now you can cut and paste it onto color.

capiche?

That is so pathetic. Did you ever see how long some of these people's handles are ?? You think I'm gonna sit here and write that much more to my already too long a essays ??

If that gripes your butt, get a load of this Pro..... I've been calling you that for quite some time.... along with almost everyone else.... except for the ladies. If you can't get past a nick name, then put your real frickin' name there and maybe I'll consider using it.

HulkSmash

Color, I was more getting at the many here who just tell her to get used to it and how is she in business. To be told it's useless or doing it your way is fine by most standards, but Slappy's standards have been higher than most on this entire forum. She DOES ask her customers these questions because she doesn't want to screw the other neighboring shops in her area. She has a talent, understands it and doesn't want others to suffer the way she just has. We can go round and round on this, but this particular case seems rather open and shut by simply seeing the business card, pictures of the old window and a simple question as to.... is this your own artwork. If the customer lies, then there is nothing anyone can do, but Ursta already said he didn't even do that..... he just thought. Perhaps a lesson could be learned here.

I for one years ago, got tired of seeing my layouts and designs copied only to be told they didn't know any better. How frickin' stoopid can all these people doing it, really be ?? Well, not as dumb as me for giving it away, but, it doesn't take a very smart person to know you just didn't get his artwork out of the air. That is why we sell the artwork along with each and every job...... when this sort of thing might happen.

Charging is is the lesson I hope Slappy learns and the rest of you..... to put that one simple question in your first addressing a customer with artwork.

So you ask every single customer that enters your shop, and provides you with a logo to put on a sign or the side of their truck, "Hey, um... does this logo belong to you?"

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No, not every single person that comes through the door.

After reading your bio in the magazine the other day, you've been in business a few years with a degree in business, so you have a lot of learned knowledge and a few years of actual knowledge or experience. I'm not sure what it's called, but my term is a 'gut feeling' and you learn which ones sometimes might be and which ones might not be telling you the truth..... and about more than just logo ownership... even their paying habits, or level of difficulty in dealing with people. They become easy to spot and quite early on by keeping the dialog going in a certain direction.

Okay, so after the initial dialog, somewhere I will inject what kinda format is your logo in ?? Casually, later I'll ask who did this design work for you ?? I'll ask them if it needs to be spruced up ?? Oh yeah, and do you have the working files for this design ??

I can ask about 10 or 15 questions in a rather short time span, because I'm in gathering information mode. So, none of this comes off as being like a third degree. I'm also asking about colors preferences, size requirements, building codes, how much is their budget, where have they been prior to our shop and what condition is the truck in ?? All kinds of information is exchanged at this point. How else can you give good quotes to them without having good information. So, little red flags go up if their answers are outta line in almost every area, but I'll decide within 5 to 10 minutes, what this job is gonna be like. Anything from a set of channels, to a wrap, to a store make-over all have the same bottom line. Do I want to work for these people ??

Now, if someone is coming in and wants a set of magnetics to match their business card, I simply ask, do you have the files from which I can work ?? If not, give me your designers name and phone and I'll call them directly.

If someone wants a 4' x 8' with a logo on it and they can't produce a file with the information I need.... again.... give me your designers name and phone and I'll call them directly.

None of this takes any time away from dealing with this client up front or down the road. But it does make me feel I did what I could do, to protect their rights of another shop that got duped into something.

However, most of what we do, we create. Very little is duplicated. We might replace it, but rarely are we gonna repeat someone else's artwork, design or logo.

Ursta Graphics

- First off I have had a working relationship with Eaglesoft for years I even designed a logo or two for them as well as lettered their storefront, so I don't really know where you got that information. I really would hope not to air anything out like that on a public forum regardless.

-Secondly as I stated previously I was approached by Starkey's when I went into the store to buy some things for a pc build I have been working on. The owner stated he needed window lettering and did state that his window was smashed months ago. He asked me if I could keep the similar style to what he had on is card but revise it with some color / effects. I sat down the next day and designed a similar logo with changes and effects in about 15 minutes.

-I called the store today because I do feel bad that this upset you and honestly do try to stay friends with other local shops and not step on anyone's feet.
The owner told me that he had tried to contact you numerous times to re-letter the windows to no avail?

- I am sorry if you never got paid originally for your work (or why you were unable to get together to letter it again) but that really is between you and the client. I am not going to turn down a job though. Like I said if you want to contact me, feel free to do so. 724 813 2206

I hate to explain this situation publicly but It's rough to see someone calling me a thief? I am perfectly capable of designing from scratch, but when you have to match something that previously existed ... what am I to do?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Now that makes sense. :cool1:

You did try... and went above and beyond what was indicated earlier. I'm sorry if you thought I was calling you a thief, but like mentioned.... it has happened to us all.

I'm glad to see you did your part and honestly, it was hard to believe by the caliber of your work posted so many times on this forum this was the case.

If you asked those questions and the client lied to you, there is no way you can know that.

Hope you didn't mind my speaking my piece. :peace!:
Gino

slappy

wow.. lots of post to read... sorry, been to busy hanging up my new "if you have a business card or design or even a picture of a business card or design, i can make it and shine it up for you too" sign in my showroom :ROFLMAO:

Hey, i've been here since 2005. I've heard all the complaints about other members work here and someone else has did it threads. Sorry for trying to be honest about it. Sorry that many of my surrounding sign shops have customers coming in here asking me to do stuff, sorry i sent the customer packing. So bash me for trying to be honest! WT:help You would think you would like to have me as a neighboring sign shop that didn't copy your work and steal your customers! lol But i've seen the light, i've had it wrong for years! Sounds like it's okay to trace it for some $$$ as long as it's not a proof and says the other sign shops name on it. Guess I'll start calling some quotes i have left in the back burner and make some quick christmas $$$ Excuse me for not taking every customer that comes in the door with existing lettering!

John Butto

Gino's sign

Gino quoted in his post, "However, most of what we do, we create. Very little is duplicated. We might replace it, but rarely are we gonna repeat someone else's artwork, design or logo."

This is a sign in your shop, where did you get the bubbles, did you create them or did you buy them or did you see them and copied them. Same with the type. Same with the layout, you copy styles from past generations of artists, nothing is new on that sign, it is all duplicated from past ideas bought or sold or stolen.
When someone steals my ideas or artwork I really don't give a care, I look at is as a compliment.

slappy

Cool John,
I'm going to look at your website and steal a few layouts then since it's okay now, hopefully some of my customers have the same business name of coarse! And it's a compliment when you see it in my portfolio!! Remember that!

Flame

wow.. lots of post to read... sorry, been to busy hanging up my new "if you have a business card or design or even a picture of a business card or design, i can make it and shine it up for you too" sign in my showroom :ROFLMAO:

Hey, i've been here since 2005. I've heard all the complaints about other members work here and someone else has did it threads. Sorry for trying to be honest about it. Sorry that many of my surrounding sign shops have customers coming in here asking me to do stuff, sorry i sent the customer packing. So bash me for trying to be honest! WT:help You would think you would like to have me as a neighboring sign shop that didn't copy your work and steal your customers! lol But i've seen the light, i've had it wrong for years! Sounds like it's okay to trace it for some $$$ as long as it's not a proof and says the other sign shops name on it. Guess I'll start calling some quotes i have left in the back burner and make some quick christmas $$$ Excuse me for not taking every customer that comes in the door with existing lettering!

Go have drink some green tea and come back. lol.:toasting:

SignManiac

It has happened to me before and in an even worse way that cost me over $3k in losses. I found my exact design on another companies website and told them to get it off. They had no idea the client sent them my work and apologized and took it off of their site. I couldn't blame them, but not a day goes by I don't wish that prick of a thief dies of a heart attack, or dies a violent death by burning up in his house.

Karma has always been good to me so I'll assume my wishes came true for him. It sucks, it's life in the not so nice lane. We get over it and move on. Don't sweat the little stuff.