• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

About cleaning and applying vinyl: I need help to find the right tools.

Zazzess

Hi y'all !!

I have newbie questions again today :D

what is a good lint free clothe for cleaning before applying vinyl ?

In the robotic shop where I am there's plenty of things for the cleaning purpose. Is wipeall x80 ok ?

And what is the difference between iso alcohol and another cleaner ?
Does contactclean works ???

Also would like to know if you ever had a squeegee that hurt the artwork ?

it takes the art off making lines on the vinyl...
I tried putting masking tape on the edge its not bad but could be better. any suggestions please :)

thanks for you help :signs101:

:blondie:

tanneji

Use alcohol for your surface prep for vinyl. It's the only that really works all the time and is cheap cheap :). Also, we use standard paper towels for wiping with the alcohol. We used to use lint free cloths but we were forever washing them. You could get a few to use for special projects but we really haven't seen any issues with paper towels. Also, yes squeegees can definitely hurt the vinyl. We sometimes will use felt squeegees or Fellers has this 3M tape called Glass tape. It's super expensive but a roll with last you a year or so. You just put it on the edges of your squeegee and it glides really well.

HulkSmash

When prepping your substrait, i recommend using just denatured alcohol. I just use those blue paper towels (Shop Towels) to wipe it down after that. Also there are squeegees that hurt the artwork. The best I've come across are the geek wrap squeegees. They're expensive, but worth every penny. We buy 10 at a time, it saves us like $5 per squeegee.

BobM

I use Rapid Prep (wash and wipe twice) and the least expensive white non-printed paper towels I can buy.

Tony McD

I also use the Rapid Tac products.
Rapid Remover for adhesive removal, tar, etc...
Rapid Prep for the initial clean, wax, etc...
Rapid Tac for final wipe down, and wet applications.
I clean till it squeaks.
The manufacturer recommends cheap white paper towels, as some towels can have
chemicals in them.

Zazzess

I also use the Rapid Tac products.
Rapid Remover for adhesive removal, tar, etc...
Rapid Prep for the initial clean, wax, etc...
Rapid Tac for final wipe down, and wet applications.
I clean till it squeaks.
The manufacturer recommends cheap white paper towels, as some towels can have
chemicals in them.

That is more clear and good info for me !
Thanks for this present ! :birthday:

:goodpost:

Raulrdz

I use alcohol or window cleaner. The window cleaner has to be ammonia free. I buy it at Sam's Club or COSTCO. Again it has to be ammonia free, as for the wipes I use the cheapest plain white paper towel I can buy.

MikesSigns

If its a vehicle , I will use prep sol, then wash area, during the wash process I will clay the surface to make it baby butt smooth. dry with a clean microfibre cloth. Then alcohol or Rapid Tac. Any substrates which are clean , an automotive tack cloth does wonders picking up any dust. Used in body shops all the time. Paper towels can leave lint... Blue shop towels are much better. 3M Glass Tape works great on squeegees. Enjoy

Mike

grafixemporium

If its a vehicle , I will use prep sol, then wash area, during the wash process I will clay the surface to make it baby butt smooth. dry with a clean microfibre cloth. Then alcohol or Rapid Tac. Any substrates which are clean , an automotive tack cloth does wonders picking up any dust. Used in body shops all the time. Paper towels can leave lint... Blue shop towels are much better. 3M Glass Tape works great on squeegees. Enjoy

Mike

You do a full detail complete with clay bar before applying vinyl or wrapping a vehicle? That's taking it a little too far I think. I leave it up to the customer's discretion. If they want a "perfect" wrap, then I suggest a full detail with clay bar before delivering the vehicle. Generally, we ask that the vehicle be washed before delivery. However, no waxes, polishes or armor all type products at all.

We take it from there to prep the surface for installation. In most cases, all it takes is denatured alcohol ($15/gallon) and a giant box of torn up tshirt material ($20).

Any squeegie can scratch the surface of the vinyl. Most scuffs and scratches will fade out in post heating or after a few days in the sun. Best squeegies we've used so far are Geek Wraps... wrapped in suede. Expensive, but worth it.

MikesSigns

A body clay bar takes 5 mins. Less if its on a door or hood before lettering. Time well spent. Next time you wash your car. Feel it with your hand... clay bar a section , dry, and re-feel. Wipe a towel across and feel. Those who have not tried it will be impressed. It removes impurities that washing or even prep-sol does not remove. I also have been in the car wash/detailing business 32 years as well and its one of those extras that makes a vehicle easier to work with. Your vinyl application will be flawless. I have gone to the extent of buffing an area after removing vinyl on a vehicle to restore luster before relettering. Don't be afraid to give that little extra.... it will pay for itself in the end. Enjoy

Zazzess

The guy told me to use drug store iso propyl alcool and suggest to apply vinyls with water and soap... I wonder why I still didn't try it seems to be so much simpler

(can I say simpler ?)

Raulrdz

Window cleaner? Not.

I have been using for years without failure...I think there are some old posts her and on other sign forums where you'll find that the ammonia is the reason you cannot use windex or such. Some sign suppliers used to sell ammonia free cleaner in the past before all the sign specific cleaners started to appear. I agree it isn't for every job, especially high end jobs but it works for most daily jobs.