• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Acrobat software too good to be true

David Wright

I know I should know but not so sure.
Local guy selling acrobat 9 pro for $50. Not original DVD which I questioned, he says he is selling license with serial, totally legit.
Is this good, possibly some OEM.
Why would adobe accept registration unless it is ok?

WildWestDesigns

I always have to wonder about something like this especially when it is soooooo low in price. I cannot imagine someone getting acrobat pro for such a great price that they can sell it for $50 unless they got it for free (and I find it hard to believe that they won it in an adobe online contest). Add that with the fact that it isn't the original disc that adds more questions to it, unless they somehow got a very legit and very low price on a download

David Wright

i am looking on ebay also, and you see some that are selling multiple copies at $79 shrink wrapped while others have it listed $300 and up. i could see someone coming into a bunch of these coming off shelves because version X just came out, but still way too much discrepancy.

Rodi

Generally, these guys skirt the issue, and the author/distributors don't care much, it is a part of business, scummy as it is.

CES020

I've contacted several people about similar issues. One guy said that his license was for 3 users (or 5, I can't remember). He said I could meet him and he could install it on my system and then be done.

I decided against it.

I had another person selling the entire adobe master collection, CS5 for $400. Full version, discs and all. Said it was a mac version and he dropped his macbook pro and couldn't afford to fix it so he was now using his PC with an older version on it.

I did all I could do to check him out and it seemed real. He had the discs, he had the serial numbers, he was willing to do the paper work to transfer it if needed. Then I asked him "So what did you use it for?", and he said "I used it while in school for graphic design". I said "So this is an academic version?". He said "Yes, but it's okay for you to use it for business. I know that because all of my professors used the same version and they all ran businesses on the side with it, so you should be okay".

I passed on it.

I think deals are out there, but it's a 1 in 100 shot to get a legit deal and weeding through the 99 bad ones is a lot of work.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Heed the warnings posted above. Why risk a business over questionable software? When I was in manufacturing, I couldn't believe how many businesses were running with academic AutoCAD.

Attorney fees will cost you a lot more time and money than legit software.

JB

Techman

Has any one here ever personally known any one who was busted for using academic software in a business?
I would like to hear about first hand encounters with someone who was actually busted for using academic software in a business..

Rodi

The thing is with academic software and trade work, eventually, you love the product and have to buy it legit, or do a lot of work around to not pay the full commercial price, and the software companies know it. They also charge a lot more than the software is actually worth to compensate themselves :)

iSign

Nobody gets busted for removing the tag on a mattress either... I don't remove mine because this is a civil society, and I know it is wrong... same deal...

On the Adobe matter, Adobe requires s "transfer of license" document, signed by previous owner... if they don't sign it, the transfer "never happened" and it's not yours, is not legal to use, and can't be upgraded.., if they do sign it, and its properly filed with Adobe, it's all yours!

FatCat

...On the Adobe matter, Adobe requires s "transfer of license" document, signed by previous owner... if they don't sign it, the transfer "never happened" and it's not yours, is not legal to use, and can't be upgraded.., if they do sign it, and its properly filed with Adobe, it's all yours!

This :goodpost:

Adobe offers a form online that you can download and fill out to transfer the software. http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/152/tn_15281.html

KEY REQUIREMENTS:

- You must initiate the product transfer as the current owner of the product license. The receiver of the license (transferee) cannot initiate this process.

-You must provide a copy of your photo ID with your signature.

-You must provide proof of purchase (if you didn't purchase directly from Adobe) and order number for your Adobe product.

-The product serial number must be registered in your Adobe profile to transfer the license.

visual800

When it came time to buy adobe illustrator I turned to ebay and got my cs5 for $200. It was brand new, acadamic edition with registration and everything. If you think for one minute im gonna spend $700-$900 on adobe website I dont think so.

signswi

Nobody gets busted for removing the tag on a mattress either... I don't remove mine because this is a civil society, and I know it is wrong... same deal...

That's not actually the same deal at all those warnings are for the mattress suppliers and resellers not the end consumers. And that has nothing to do with intellectual property law ;P.

If it's too good to be true it is. Especially if it puts your business on the line.

signswi

When it came time to buy adobe illustrator I turned to ebay and got my cs5 for $200. It was brand new, acadamic edition with registration and everything. If you think for one minute im gonna spend $700-$900 on adobe website I dont think so.

You could just download it free instead as it's the same penalty*, save yourself $200. Either way you're breaking the EULA and infringing on the IP rights of the copyright holder (the software company). Don't put your business on the line for stupid crap like this. Software costs are costs of business, just like vinyl or ink.

*Don't do this

dsmskyline

Being a student, I have access to buy all of Microsoft's and Adobes software at student prices. When I bought cs3 and cs4, they were the full versions, same as what we buy here at work directly from Adobe, just at half the cost.

I can buy a Windows 7 ultimate, new install for under $100. Its nice being a student some days.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, skirting around the real issue here is not about how honest you are, but how you screwed someone out of their fair share of royalties and got or get away with it.

So, if you cut this corner, do you guys that use this practice cut other corners ??​

Are you the same guys that bitch about someone using your shop drawings..... getting pictures or graphics from someone else's website........ undercut the next guy's price just to get the job....... not use the precise materials you promised the customer ??

I'll admit.... in early on years when I didn't know any better [mostly because I'm not into reading the fine print] I had some programs that I got second hand or from someone else at a good price, but all of my software and business computer related goods were bought first hand AND with licenses. However, I had a music program, some dumb games and a Quickbooks program that my computer guy at the time... put on my computer and I never got charged for them. That guy no longer does any work for us. Not a stickin' penny's worth.

I take it, that if one of your employees took some vinyl home and striped or lettered someone's car or truck... you'd say.... as long as I don't know, he can take as much business away from me as he wants.... as long as I don't see it.

What in the heck kinda ethics do some of you have ?? As long as you're not caught, it's Okay ?? The rules are for the other guys, but not you ?? Give me a frickin' break.... you actually have to discuss how honest someone is by the level at which they are stealing ??

:banghead:

Okay, I need a back tire for my truck and I'm gonna take one of yours because you're not using it at the moment, it's parked out back..... so it should be alright. :doh:

dsmskyline

I personally never understood buying software second hand. I wouldn't run the risk. There are so many ways to manipulate the system as far as registration codes go.

Adobe is pretty strict with software licensing. We had a hard drive go bad and had fun with Adobe trying to get the license released so we could install it back into the same computer, just a different hard drive.

Any software Ive gotten with my student discount has been for personal use only. Myself or our company would run the risk, spending a couple hundred dollars is a drop in a hat when it comes to software for us.

David Wright

Okay, screw the guy I originally mentioned on Craigslist. Here is just one of many on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Facto...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item7b684d9aae

What is the deal. Boxed version with license. Did he buy up a ton because version X is out? I don't want to skirt the legal issues or even ethical, but if a deal is legit why not.

The big question, is this good or not. Plenty of pdf software much more affordable than this, but I really wanted the collaboration features and hosting Adobe is offering.