• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Acrobat software too good to be true

Jim Doggett

Okay, screw the guy I originally mentioned on Craigslist. Here is just one of many on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Facto...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item7b684d9aae

What is the deal. Boxed version with license. Did he buy up a ton because version X is out? I don't want to skirt the legal issues or even ethical, but if a deal is legit why not.

The big question, is this good or not. Plenty of pdf software much more affordable than this, but I really wanted the collaboration features and hosting Adobe is offering.

These may be legit licenses being sold illegitimately. :^)

Some licenses are for inclusion with a new computer purchase, only. (to be preloaded on the machine.) But then some less than honorable dealers sell them individually. It happens with a lot of software, and I'm guessing Adobe Acrobat Pro is not immune.

Locals Find!

What these guys do is buy out the excess merchandise left over for the reason you just stated the new version is out. Their are warehouses full of this stuff all over the world.

Direct from the Manufacturers and the distributors such as Office Max etc...etc...You can buy the lots of these disks and many other products if you know where to look. That is all this sounds like to me. Someone bought a "LOT" or "palette" and is looking to unload them for a nice little profit without a lot of hassle.

I buy software from a guy in town that does this often. I get last year software for less than 50% retail and its all legit copies.

OldPaint

i bought corel 7, full version as an NFR, not for resale. an employee at office depot got it for me, as they could buy them because they worked at office depot. and the cost of it was less then an ACADEMIC version. NFR is not upgradeable to next version. but i didnt need an upgrade till i went to version 10!!!! my corel X3 is an academic. nobody from corel has give me any crap about how i use it!

Locals Find!

Have you contacted the software company to make sure that is legit to do this?

I have registered and gotten support on all of the software I have bought over the years. This guys runs a pretty big operation selling used computers, off lease equipment and a whole lot of software. I am going to assume that in the 15 years I have been dealing with him and by the size of his operation if it wasn't legal someone would have shut him down by now. I am not buying software from the back of a van he has a regular business location on a major road in town and been in the same spot for a long time. If its not legal well, then I will let the software companies sort it out. I have my receipts.

David Wright

Well lookie here, I went back to ebay to check on them and I got this page.

All of them from the NY area which each had about ten to sell are now not listed.

Attachments

• ebay listing.jpg
    ebay listing.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 94

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Software, what a mess. Does anyone know of any other consumer product that has so much gray area? For the typical consumer it is all very confusing.

I had to upgrade to CS5 and went through Adobe directly because of a sale. I wish I could have gotten the software for much lower but knowing whether or not you are getting a legit copy is very confusing when ordered through ebay or some other similar site. I did not want to potentially get software I could not use or upgrade again in the future so my only choice was to order from Adobe

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Back in '03, I was first getting started with Illustrator. I was a high school teacher and was able to get Illustrator CS for the academic pricing of approx. $99.00. I was able to upgrade to the commercial license two years later for the regular upgrade price...thinking it was approx. $199 back then.

Not sure if it still works that way, but it did back then.

On another note...

I got a very good deal on a sealed package of Photoshop CS2 on ebay several years back. The seller offered a money back gurantee...which made it a no brainer.

But again...you have to be careful. I had to cancel a bid at the last minute on a previous auction because it was European software...and that's something else you have to be watching for. The seller did not state that it was European, but I did a google search of the product code and found out that it was.

So, make sure you know the Adobe product codes, and never buy something on ebay that doesn't show an actual photo of the item, or its product code. The software might be 100% legit, and commercial....but the wrong format...or language....big bummer. Caveat Emptor.

JB

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There's a local computer store here in the Reading area... actually West Reading [across the bridge] which was well known for their great work and prices on custom computers plus many other things which they provided.

Let me re-phrase that.... there WAS a local computer store. They were doing work for banks, real estate companies and all kinds of high end businesses in the area. He approached us to do some work, but we said we didn't need hm at the time, but my computer guy said... it just ain't possible to do some of the things he's doing for his prices.

Well, some guy I happened to know got like 5 or 6 computers from him and all kinds of software, had him network everything together and all kinds of other computer work. I'm not quite sure how he found out, but he wanted to do something and contacted the software company and eventually found out that he had some kind of a pirated piece of software. It was kinda hard to trace, but he found out that he didn't have a legit copy of even 'Windows' on his computer, let alone the other stuff. The innards which were promised weren't in there either. There was all kinds of illegal chit in ALL of his computers. Of course the guy denied it and asked for them back and he'd make good on them and couldn't figure out how he got so much crap from HIS supplier. Yeah, right !! My friend, then contacted other people he knew that had this guy do their work and after a few months of this.... it became quite well known this computer wiz was too good for his own good. Seems he was putting together illegal machines with illegal parts and software and charging everyone as if they had one-of-kinds in their systems.

Last I heard, Tim [the computer pirate] was investigated and it was all his doing and paid some fines, was forced out of business and I'm not sure if he did jail-time, but I do know he is gone from the area with the promise of never doing this sorta thing again..... anywhere. He will be watched and not allowed back in the computer world. Yeah, right again !!

If you are not a student or an educational institute, you may not use this kind of software for any reasons, no matter how you justify it in your own mind. Want to think different and be illegal.... go right ahead, but don't sit there and lie to me that it's Okay to do because it's not....... anywhere-anytime across the whole country.

You're just lying to yourself and justifying that you can beat the system, while you hold others up to a different light and set of standards. This kinda chit and 4' flames really burns my ass.

:thankyou:

iSign

That's not actually the same deal at all those warnings are for the mattress suppliers and resellers not the end consumers. And that has nothing to do with intellectual property law ;P.

really? ..it's not the same?

..well, I was gonna say the reason I won't f#*K another mans wife isn't connected to getting caught... it's about integrity... I just used to mattress tag because it seemed to me that it would be 1000% more obvious that I was just making an analogy... hopefully people still know this is just an analogy :rolleyes:

Gino

Premium Subscriber

..well, I was gonna say the reason I won't f#*K another mans wife isn't connected to getting caught... it's about integrity... I just used to mattress tag because it seemed to me that it would be 1000% more obvious that I was just making an analogy... hopefully people still know this is just an analogy :rolleyes:

What if she used to be another man's wife and they are now divorced ?? She still was another man's wife, but not legally anymore. I need to know. I have someone I know doing this right now and want to know if I should shoot the bastard or not............... :clapping:
She's 87 and he's 90 and they meet at the gym and go behind the shower stalls and do some hanky-panky chit. The frickin' sounds are amazing........:covereyes:
Maybe it's just a little Okay ??

signswi

I get your point and agree. I was merely pointing out that it was a terrible analogy, as the reason no one gets busted for removing tags is that it isn't illegal for you to do so as the end consumer. Happen to abhor this particular urban myth for some reason. :frustrated: Carry on!

iSign

I get your point and agree. I was merely pointing out that it was a terrible analogy, as the reason no one gets busted for removing tags is that it isn't illegal for you to do so as the end consumer. Happen to abhor this particular urban myth for some reason. :frustrated: Carry on!

I'm glad to hear you state that you agree... but you are still missing my point... which I must not be explaining well enough...

I'll agree that it was a terrible analogy, but the mattress tag was chosen specifically because it is something nobody gets in trouble for phuqing with.. and seriously, it ain't no urban myth... it's been stand up comic fodder for ages, and I'd shudder to imagine a living soul who doesn't know we can freely phuq with our own mattress tags...

...but my elusive point is in response to someone who said "Has any one here ever personally known any one who was busted for using academic software in a business?"

...and I thought that was a strange tangent, because the EULA is quite specific, so any professional worthy of a modicum of respect, would simply pay for the tools they require, instead of stealing them... EVEN IF THEY CAN "GET AWAY WITH IT" :banghead::popcorn::rock-n-roll:

signswi

Yes I've known people busted for violating license agreements of software. Not for using academic versions though as the only people I have known who use academic versions for business qualified as academic or bought it while they were students and then used it for business (which is legal under the EULA).

You missed the point that no one gets in trouble for "phuqing" with mattress tags because it isn't illegal to do so...and retailers have no reason to (whom it is illegal for). Whereas businesses have "reasons" to want cheaper software even if it's illegal...

Anyway, horse, dead, beat, etc.