• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ADA braille signs - need help

thinksigns

SnowFlake
We do not do braille signs in house, and all the ones I have ordered in the past have been of the "Suite 204" variety. I am being asked to quote all the signs for new condo building. The Fire Marshall provided the copy for the sign, but he could not tell me if all the copy on the sign has to be reproduced in braille. All he could say was braille is ADA stuff.

Looking up ADA braille regulations addressing my problem has proven impossible.

On a side note, my customer said that the wording could be cut vinyl and did not have to be raised. I did find wording that said it had to be raised.

I have attached samples of the signs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-11-15 at 3.41.21 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-11-15 at 3.41.21 PM.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 86

AzGene

All of the ones I have done in the past just had the stairway designation and the floor number. But I can't say that applies in your area. Odd the fire marshall doesn't know, they are usually the ones to approve the signs.

StarSign

Looking at the copy there is no room for braille so just get the FM to sign off on the signs as is, let him make the call to CYA. We do alot of ADA and I have never seen anything like this that needed braille.

petepaz

do you have anyone local that does engraving. we have a guy who does ours with his engraving machine. ( i am not sure on the ADA braille regulations, he takes care of all that) also you can order them from seton but they aren't cheap

thinksigns

SnowFlake
I don't have anyone local.

It is (10) like the samples I attached. (54) 6" x 6" and (60) 2.5" x 4"
If anybody has a supplier they know and trust, I would love to get a second quote.

ChicagoGraphics

You can check with Grimco, I know they make stock braille signs they just might do custom orders as well as long as you have more then a few.

Malkin

We use Clarke Systems or Scott Signs for most of our Braille ADA needs.

Also, Rick (on this forum) is very knowlegable on the subject, hopefully he could chime in...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
rick the circle maker is your guy to ask. However, I've never seen a storybook written for ADA signs like that.

You're probably going to have to figure out a condensed version and have it approved.

TheSnowman

C&C Engraving in Arizona. Used to be a MM here (or at least advertised here, cause that's how I found them), not sure if they still are. They do that stuff all day long. Talk to Gene...he's gone above and beyond for me on a few jobs lately. Great work.

AzGene

C&C Engraving in Arizona. Used to be a MM here (or at least advertised here, cause that's how I found them), not sure if they still are. They do that stuff all day long. Talk to Gene...he's gone above and beyond for me on a few jobs lately. Great work.

Thanks for the kind words Kraig. Don't think I did anything special, just taking care of business. And, yes , I'm still an MM here.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Tactile and braille is not required for that sign type.

---------

There are other signs that usually go in that area.

A floor designation sign inside the stairwell (just a floor number and at the floor where you exit, the floor number and a raised star)

There is probably supposed to be a evacuation sign at the stairwell landing and elevator and main exits. At the stairwell landings, there is usually an ADA incorportaed that says the stair number and the type of exit (like EXIT STAIR UP, EXIT STAIR DOWN, EXIT ROUTE (OR PATH)

At now we are required to have ADA signs where illuminated exit signs are that describe the path.

MikePro

if it was required to be braille, the lettering would be required to be raised as well.
i'm also inclined to believe that these don't fit in that category. Never hurts to simply ask the fire marshall. He should be able to simply tell you what he's looking to sign-off on, as the difference in cost between braille/raised lettering and vinyl graphics is HUGE... especially in the scale your working with.

also added: he should have approved similiar signage in your area, maybe check out a public building while you're out at lunch?

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I don't have anyone local.

It is (10) like the samples I attached. (54) 6" x 6" and (60) 2.5" x 4"
If anybody has a supplier they know and trust, I would love to get a second quote.

This seems small, is this the size the fire inspector gave you?

That type of sign usually is a minimum of 12" x 12" with non-glare finish

Usually there are type face requirements.

On the floor designation, it's 5" cap height and a certain stroke width.
On all other type - usually "ROOF ACCESS" and the information of what floors the stairway services like "1 THRU 15" and the stairwell id "STAIR 5", it would be 1" cap height and a certain stroke width.

I think in this case it might be too much sign, I would have the smaller copy a minimum of 5/8" cap height.

Oh and I'm surprised it has "northeast stairway" In a building, especially in an emergency, that means squat. Most people looking for a stairwell in an emergency, even a firefighter and police officer will get turned around. The Architectural plans should have the stairwells titled. In an emergency, there might be a chance that someone may use plans to map out an emergency plan, and if the architectural plans do not match what is on the sign, that can be dangerous... at the very least it's poor planning.

thinksigns

SnowFlake
The larger signs are about 14" x 10"
The 6" x 6" are for misc rooms (trash, mechanical, etc.)
The smallest ones are for the condo unit numbers

All of the information on the largest sign was on the Word doc the FM sent me.

All of you have been very helpful. Thank you. I hope to get this figured out in the morning.

lassiter

Texas Code requires raised copy (Floor# 2", all other copy 1") and braille. And like Rick said, the roof access information is required. We typically add re-entry information, if the sign is going in the stairwell. If the door will lock behind you when you exit, what floor you can re-enter the stairwell.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Everyone make sure to remember, the revised ADA guidelines go into effect March 15, 2011. Make sure when choosing a signage manufacturer, they are knowledgable and current in relation to ADA codes. This blog addresses some of the new ADA changes..

http://dixiesignagesolutions.com/blogs/signage-solutions-blog/2012/02/21/new-ada-standards

With your website there.... after checking it out, why don't you consider opening a Merchant Member account with Fred. Then you could post your wares fairly and make potential money while doing it.

MeganJones

Thanks, Gino. I will look into it! I just found this forum today, so I am new to it. After looking at all of the threads, I am excited to join in on these conversations! This seems like a great place to bounce ideas.